Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP - inconsistent folders in Lrc?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! 

Adobe support is running, so far just nobody has an idea .... on the screenshot you have a folder on the left in Lrc (2021-07-31 Kresowaty wedding) and on the right the same folder on my hard drive. where does the difference in the number of files come from? lr 1861 hard disk 1807 ... who has an idea?

9AE9DEB8-FF70-4A57-A6E8-213D6864EDBE.jpeg

i have already installed lrc new, changed users and synchronized the folder. 

THANK You! 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Folders Panel in LrC is not a file manager like your MACOS Finder.

In the LrC Folders Panel, that number of images, is just that, images. It indicates the number of images accounted for in the database records (your catalog is a database) that are supposedly in that folder. That is the number of images imported into your catalog into that particular folder, plus any virtual copy's. Including any images that have gone missing. (see next reply). It does not account for xmp files (if any) that LrC could have created (metadata option in catalog propertys)

As for MACOS  Finder, it is not reporting on just photos, but all files, including xmp files if any, and it will not include LrC virtual copy's. (virtual copy,s are just a record in the database, not an actual file)

Another point, you are showing the Folders Panel, and while this particular folder does not appear to have a location issue (see the ? mark on many other folders) What about the images? In grid view, in that folder, are many images missing? The number could include the missing photos. Remember, not a file manager.

so LrC 1861, Finder 1807, virtual copy's? Or more likely, photos improperly moved or deleted.

/I think I am now done editing the above/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey GoldingD! 

thanks so much for your detailed, well-founded answer! wow! There are no missing pictures in the panel. But I have some virtual copy's! my fear was that pictures would be missing if i archive the folder on an external disk. Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell from your screenshot of the Folders Panel, that you have been moving photos and/or folders outside of LrC. Even without seeing the grid view. This is leading to file location errors in the catalog.

DO NOT MOVE FOLDERS IR PHOTOS OUTSIDE OF LIGHTROOM CLASSIC

see: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per Golding's reply, but Shift Command 3 will give you a screen shot, or Shift Command 4 will let you drag out an area to capture. Better quality than using your phone. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Lightroom shows more images than the Finder does. That means this is probably not an issue with Lightroom not being a browser, also because you say that you synchronized the folder. Most likely these are virtual copies. Lightroom counts virtual copies as real images, but virtual copies only exist within Lightroom. The Macintosh Finder won't see them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I think it's the virtual copy's! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One question because of the virtual copys: but are they still saved? I specifically searched for the virtual copies in the folder in the finder and didn't find them ... I use this function more often when I need a photo in black and white and color ..., thanks !!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@martinas39532156 wrote:

One question because of the virtual copys: but are they still saved? I specifically searched for the virtual copies in the folder in the finder and didn't find them ... I use this function more often when I need a photo in black and white and color ..., thanks !!! 

A virtual copy does not need to be 'saved'. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. It saves the edits in the catalog. A virtual copy is just a second set of edits that relates to the same image. It is saved in the catalog too. That is why you won't find it in the Macintosh Finder. It only exists in Lightroom, not outside Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! but what happens if i delete the folder from the hard drive and save it externally? if i reopened it in lr in 5 years, could i reopen the virtual copies? My last question- I promise...😉✌🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How many times do I need to repeat that virtual copies only exist in the Lightroom catalog? If you move an image (do this within the Lightroom folder panel!) to another folder, or move a folder to a new destination, then Lightroom will show the virtual copy as also being in the new folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines