• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help needed to restore deleted Lightroom folders and sub folders and to open my backup catalog

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally deleted some  lightroom folders and sub folders with around 2000 images  that were not showing their files when I opened them. The original raw and edited files are safe on my harddrives, so its just lightroom they've been deleted, along with all the editing processes I presume that I would love to restore.

I understand thanks to user  Johan Elzenga reply below I can just close the program then open a back up catalogue, lightroom doesnt find my back up catalogs when I direct it to them. see attached photos. So I need help connecting my back up catalogs to LR classic so they recognise them again

photo 1 shows the location of the catalog back up

photo 2 showing its properties to check its the right file

photo 3 shows lightrooms response when trying to open the catalog

20231201_141847.jpg20231201_141919.jpg20231201_141947.jpg

Im not backing up or working on anything in LR classic until I have resolved this issue.

Many thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they have just been removed from Lightroom, then quit Lightroom (don't make a backup on quit) and replace your current catalog with the latest backup catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Johan,

How and where do I find my back up catalogues? i back up each time I close the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you should ALWAYS know where your catalog file and backup catalogs are located. I put my backups into a folder immediately under the root level on an external drive, named "Lightroom Backups" so there can be absolutely no doubt where they are. I don't bury it several folders deep. There is no chance that I won't remember what folder they are in, and no need for me to do a search to find them.

Having said that, the backup location is shown on the dialog box that appears when you exit Lightroom Classic.

2023-12-01 08_10_44-Back-up-catalog-dialog-box-in-Lightroom.png (PNG Image, 704 × 415 pixels) — Mozi.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so Ive located my back ups but when I try to open them through LR classic, it says there is nothing there to match my search but yet there is. so its not recognising the catalog. any ideas how to solve this? 20231201_141847.jpg20231201_141919.jpg20231201_141947.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you have to UNZIP these files first before you can do anything with them. In addition, you do not open them from the backup folder where they are stored and where the unzipped versions are likely going to be stored. Instead, you follow the instructions above from Johan: "replace your current catalog with the latest backup catalog" (although first you might want to make a copy of the current catalog and associated lrcat-date file, and save it somewhere just in case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I found the backed up catalog but the folder I want to access is greyed out and theres no option to find the missing folder. any ideas on this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I found the backed up catalog but the folder I want to access is greyed out and theres no option to find the missing folder. any ideas on this one?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 07 20 spit beach scouting-v13 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library 10_12_2023 09_08_01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot, and please use the proper method of making such as screenshot: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102646

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on windows and here is a screen capture. the folder greyed out holds over 380gb of photos on my harddrive and many of the subfolders are no longer visible on my lightroom.

If I go back to an old catalog back up that has those folders, what happens to all folders and edits created after that old back up, ie all my work since that back up?2022 07 20 spit beach scouting-v13 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library 10_12_2023 09_08_01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the grey out folders contain over 380gb of photos on my harddrive and many of the sub folders arent shown in lihgtroom. If I find another back up catalog that contains all these images and folders, what happens to all  my subsequent work created since that back up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I find another back up catalog that contains all these images and folders, what happens to all my subsequent work created since that back up?

Nothing happens if you do it properly.

Step1: Unzip a backup.

Step2: Open this backup in LrC.

Step3: Find the folder Temp Photos 2022 by clicking on it

Step4: Right click on the folder Temp Photos 2022, select "Export these Folders as a catalog"

Step5: in the dialog box that appears, give the export a name, check "Export Negative Files" and "Include available Previews", click on SAVE

Step6: Open your current working (not the backup or exported) catalog

Step7: Select File->Import from Another Catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines