Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help re: migrating legacy LR folders / catalogues to new laptop

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - hoping for some guidance...

Briefly, I have LR 5.7 on my 'old' laptop, with usual catalogue / image folders etc.  All images held separately on external hard drive(s) up to end of 2019.  I have a 'newer' laptop, with Adobe CC / LR Classic etc installed, for all images since 2020 - again, all held on separate hard drive.

Old laptop is dying so wondering if I can migrate the old LR catalogue / folders to new laptop without corrupting / complicating what is already held on new laptop?

Have seen articles around 'moving' LR catalogues, but they tend to suggest a straight 'lift and shift' on acquisition of new kit, rather than 'adding' to catalogue / folders already in place some time later.  In short, I want to bring over my 2019 and before folders so I can review and edit on my new laptop before the old one laptop dies!

Thanks in advance 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move the catalog and folders via these instructions: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/ Follow those instructions exactly, do not skip steps, do not make up your own steps, do not import photos on the new computer.

Make sure that is working before you try to create a single new catalog containing everything on the new laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I had seen that guidance and wondered whether it would fit my needs.

Once done (successfully!), presume LR will consolidate to a single catalogue / back-up going forward?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to consolidate all into a single catalog, you have to issue the proper instructions to Lightroom Classic. It doesn't happen automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - so this appears to have done what I feared it would and I'm panicking...

It has successfully brought across the catalogue / folders but I have 'lost' all my 2020 / 2021 catalogue items and folders - how do I resurrect and combine them?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't lost anything. They are still there in the catalog that was on the new laptop. Just open that catalog.

And you do have backups of everything on both computers, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so I think I've managed to figure this out, having backed-out the changes.

Looks like I needed to select 'Import from another catalog' to bring legacy Collections (pre-2020) etc into my current workflow (2020 onwards).  Catalogue seems to cover all photos since 2013 and I have Collections from 2013 to current.  Pre-2020 images cannot be seen - to be expected as on separate hard drive, so will need to pair to LR on this laptop in due course when needed.
Fingers crossed, successful merging of 'laptop LR files' - thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines