• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEVC video support for Windows? 14 months already on MacOS, WTH? (Feature Request)

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe. Why do you continue to plague Windows and Android users?

We pay the same amount for your subscription, at least give us 80% of the features.

HEVC video is lacking on Windows for 14 months now after you added support under MacOS. It's beginning to be a joke at this point. Every new camera and phone can record to this format.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're working on providing the support for HEVC videos on Windows operating system as well, however, you can have a look at this article to know about some workarounds you can use in the meantime:https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add your constructive opinion to this feature request:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/hevc-support-for-lightroom-cc-mac

and be sure to click Vote and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do. Adobe product developers read everything posted there but rarerly participate here.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

presently HEVC video support on Widnows is just for Apple video.

On Mac, can you see your HEVC video from GoPro or other camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the Adobe help article says: 

"Although modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos and HEVC (H.265) videos, Lightroom and Camera raw support only HEIF/.heic files created with iOS devices."

This applies to Lightroom Classic, Lightroom, and Camera Raw, on both Windows and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thank you, I really need to be able to manage my photos in the same software as my videos from my Sony camera, my DJI drone, my Cell Samsung, my GoPro action camera

Do you plan to play HEVC video from all manufacturers?
If it's a codec, being able to play 1 should play them all.
I just tested On1 Photo Raw 2021 and it plays HEVC video from GoPro 10 without issue even though the camera came out after the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've tagged on to an older topic that I was not involved in.  Nor do I know if Adobe has incorporated HEVC support directly into the Windows version of Classic since this topic was started.  

I'm on a Windows PC.  To do some trouble shooting in the Premiere Elements forum, I installed the HEVC codec purchased from the Microsoft store for 99 cents.  I was given a 4K60 HEVC file from a GoPro 10 to test.  Lightrom Classic imports and previews the clip.  On my computer it stutters a little.  "Show in Explorer" and playing with VLC is smoother. 

So, I think HEVC is supported in Windows if the codec is installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not support HEVC. Buying the codec is pointless. FLC is free and reads HEVC files. To read gopro 10 files in Lightroom you must follow this link to activate it in the GoPro and old h264 mode and it will only be supported for certain video modes
(links removed by moderator)

1080p 50 to 120 fps
2.7k 4:3 no
2.7k 50 and 60 fps
4k 4:3 no
4k 25 and 30 fps
5k 4:3 no
5k no

it's very disappointing, I want to take a memory in 1080 I have no choice but to film in 60 fps even if it's useless...
and when I would film in 4k 60 fps of the ski I must choose 30 fps 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom does not support HEVC."

LR supports HEVC video from iOS devices only.  See this previous post in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/hevc-video-support-for-windows-14-month...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes I know it is written above and really disappointing. Especially since the codes are free. Free software like FLV perfectly smooths HEVC (h265) video and that's the future. Hopefully Adobe will update this software for the general good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic is confusing.   From an Adobe helpx page, it specifically says the HEVC works in Classic and my experience on a Windows 10 laptop confirms it.  What am I missing?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree it's confusing, partly because LR added Windows support for HEVC since the thread was started.

The top of that help article has this important restriction that could be easy to miss:

"Although modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos and HEVC (H.265) videos, Lightroom and Camera raw support only HEIF/.heic files created with iOS devices."

The HEIF/HEVC standards are fairly complicated and support lots of encoding options, and evidently, Adobe has only committed to supporting those options used by Apple devices.  If you're lucky enough that LR handles your photos or videos from other devices, that must be because they use the same encoding options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is my link removed
it is really practical for someone who is looking for a solution and would save him time and unnecessary messages on your forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see an earlier post from you on Feb 7th is there later one you are referring to?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines