Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Histogram shows no clipping but the image has red highlight warnings

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to LR Classic.]

I can't figure out why this is happening. I am currently running LR Classic v 10.3, but was having the same issue in at least the one prior version. The histogram shows absolutely zero highlight clipping, gray triangle, but the image itself has red areas with clipped highlights, and indicates individual channels when I press ALT+Highlights. Do I believe the histogram or the image? This is happening on both raw files as well as images I've edited in some of the Topaz plugins. Most of the time moving the highlights slider all the way to the left is not enough to resolve it. Often I have to dig deep in the tone curve to resolve all of it and by the time I've finished the image looks awful, but sometimes just moving the Point Curve output down to 254 will take care of it. But that still doesn't answer the question about why the histogram says everything is fine but the image disagrees. Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that my attached example lacked the histogram, so I'm adding it in this reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 'basic' explanation- The height of the histogram graph illustrates the 'number' of pixels for each tone level.

An extremely small area of clipped pixels may not have enough pixels to register on the (small) histogram graph. You are looking (in your screen-clip) at a very small area clipped! Other LrC experts might explain the 'accuracy' of the histogram in detail.

I see the same result-  (a highlight on a balloon)-

2021-06-14 09_27_07-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg2021-06-14 09_27_15-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's right. I think there's a threshold percentage number of pixels that must be clipped before the clipping triangle indicates clipping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. In WobertC's example image, the highlight warning is registering on the histogram, but mine does not. I also feel that this is a recent occurrence; I don't recall it being an issue in the past. However, I was just preparing for a show so was scrutinizing every detail in the photos I selected to print, printing being something I rarely do. But I don't remember it being present in the photos I printed for a show a few months ago. Your observation is correct, though, in that it usually only shows up in small detail, often even smaller than my feather image example. So perhaps it is a threshhold issue that keeps it from registering on the histogram, and the tiny blips won't be evident in print.

Thank you-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My i ask why the Clipping box go's from white to red then black (I get the White and Black) but the Red is a first ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The black and white clipping indicators in the upper corners of the histogram indicate which channel(s) are currently being clipped:

black - no channels clipped

white - all channels clipped

red - just the red channel clipped

green - just the green channel clipped

cyan -- green and blue channel clipped

etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My i ask why the Clipping box go's from white to red then black (I get the White and Black) but the Red is a first ???

Windows 10 Pro x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no LrC 14.4.

What is the actual version number of your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red triangle means that the red channel is clipped.

A light gray triangle means that all channels (red, green.blue) are clipped, like the highlights in your screenshot.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same answer as to your other post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/histogram-shows-no-clipping-but-the-ima...

Please don't double-post, so we don't waste our time re-answering the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry it was a true mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines