• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I give multiple ratings to the same image in different folders

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all ... how can I give different ratings to the same image in multiple folders. First I took one image and placed it in multiple folders. In each different folder I want to give the same image different ratings according to the hieracy in that folder. However, once I change the rating in one folder .. the rating is changed to match that  in all the folders. How do I stop my rating from changing in all the folders

sincerly.

james 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly did you placed the image in multiple folders? And do you really mean folders, as in the Folders panel?

Also, please state exactly which version of LR you are using. That is easy to copy from the Help > System Info dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only system that wasn't global for a while was Flags, but in their wisdom, Adobe decided this was too confusing. So currently, there's no way to have different selection methods in different folders or collections. You may have to mix and match using labels, flags and ratings. You could also add final selects to a target collection and give them a final rating there. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

It seems that what you are sayng is correct unfortunately. Thank you so much for your response. Hopefully they will change the perameters to allow different ratings for the same image in different collections. 

you rock sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might want to investigate stacking, which can be different in collections. Also virtual copies, as mentioned by DJPaige.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you sean for the info and your time. I will deffiantely use your suggestions in the future

sincerely, james 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are confusing collections and folders. An image can only be in one folder, but in multiple collections. Because it is still one and the same image, you cannot have different ratings in different collections.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If @JohanElzenga is correct, then you can put virtual copies in different collections, and these can have different star ratings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is we may be dealing with "Lightroom" , not Classic Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige,

thank you for this suggestions. Not the process I was hoping for, especially since I have alreay invested alot of time going down the wrong path. However, this is the solution for my problem at this moment. Thank you for taking your time to help me

sincerely ... james 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning John,

yes I was confusing folders and collections. In my haste of frustration I just started writing down things. It makes total sense what you are saying. In my mind I just assumed that each time I add an image into a collection it would start with a clean slate of ratings and not carry the bagage from other collections. It appears that I will be using dj_paige's suggestions in using virtual copies as a work around... In the future. Unfortunately I'm deep into my project and will have to work around this mess I have created. But now I know for the next time and found out that there are really helpfull people like your self out there : )

sincerely ... james 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you johan,

i respnded below and ment it to go to you. So I just wanted to make sure that I acknowledge your time and help : )

sincerely,

james 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines