How can I pick and rate photos on 2 computers

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok here is the background.  I have one LR catalog (yes backed up several locations).  I have only used LR1-5  then LR Classic.  Have never needed LR CC but it is installed on my desktop and laptop (LRC is on the laptop, too).  I backed up my photos on several external drives, not the cloud.  I am using the latest versions of  LRC and LRCC as of today.

However, I've had a bad practice for many years.  After a shoot, I'd move my photos from camera to hard drive, then import to LR.  I did not pick and delete the losers.  The test pics, the blurry pics etc are all still there.  Yes, I have now changed that workflow. 

All of my LR and PS work has been  done on my main computer, in my home office.  I would now like to pick and rate my photos outdoors on my patio from my laptop in LR as the weather here is perfect to work outside under the palm trees with my two pups.   I don't need to delete the images....I can do that back on the desktop, that has the external drives attached. 

The work I need to do with the images is pretty brainless, no editing, just picking and sorting. There is no need to do any heavy editing on the laptop as I will still do that on my desktop studio.

Last year I tried to copy my lrcat file to a new, large capacity USB thumb drive to accomplish these goals.    As I was trying to get it to work, the drive became 'read only' rendering this expensive drive useless.  I think I maxed out the LR and Thumb drive capabilities.  ( I do have a new 4 gb external drive, unused that could be used for any potential new solution-however the total size of my actual images far surpasses this storage size. )

These folders of images go back to 2006.  I need to cull them and share the best with family and friends.  Each folder represents one photoshoot.  One particular folder from a 4 day event has over almost 3000 RAW images and is 131 gb in size.  Many folders are simply 100 images and much smaller in size.

So due to the size limitations of uploading images to LRCC, and the size of my lrcat file, what could be some potential solutions?  Is it possible to add a few folders to a new lrcat file and work on that with LRCC, and then update LRC with the new picks and ratings from that new lrcat file?   Or is using the larger external drive and staying within LRClassic a better option? 

I keep saying picks because I am hoping I can accomplish this with lrcat files.  So if I pick, flag, or rate a photo while working on my laptop, I can then update the lrcat file on my desktop, then delete the bad picks from the catalog and also from the external hard drives. 

Also this can definitley be done in small segments.  I don't need to move everything back and forth from the desktop to laptop.  If I can chug thru 10-20 folders per week that would be great!  working in small segments seems like best solution...if there is one.  But if there is another way, like the larger external hard drive with the entire lrcat file , or using LRCC, I would definitely like to hear options!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all very much,

B

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to do it in chunks, you can...

• export a folder or collection as a catalog on the desktop
  • take that catalog over to the laptop and open it there
  • do your culling & flagging on the laptop
  • when you're done, take that catalog back to the desktop
  • import that catalog back into your main catalog

That's the 50,000 foot description of the process.  For more details, have a look at this page - Exporting and Importing a Classic Catalog

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines