How can I undo a catalogue import?

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just did something that turned out to be unexpectedly bad!

I went through the process of exporting some pics to a new small catalogue, did some minor work in the new catalogue and then re-imported the small catalogue back into my main catalogue.

I expected this to import the changes, which it did. BUT it has also created virtual copies of every single pic I exported to the small catalogue - about 3300 of them. Naturally I now cannot remember exactly what import options I selected.

The import is showing in the 'Previous Import'. Each one has a 2 indicating there are 2 versions of each. But if I select and try to remove, it looks like it wants to remove both versions.

If I go into the original folders, each pic shows with the original and the virual copy next to it. I can filter on the virtual copies and so could select them all and remove them that way.

But I cannot reacal if I had previously made any virtual copies, which would also get removed.

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem?

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restore backups of your catalogs made before this issue. Use the backups.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj_paige, I do have backups so can do a complete restore. But I was hoping that there might be a simple 'undo' function that I'd missed!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use John Ellis' Any Filter plugin to filter on File Created Date with date you imported the catalog. I checked and it will show virtual copies created during the catalog import on that date. Before doing anything backup your current catalog file. That assumes you have no previous catalog file backups. Is that correct?

https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyfilter.htm

ToddShaner_1-1641593660508.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Todd, I do have backups. There is a CCC backup every day to a local disk and Time Machine to both a local disk and a Time Capsule. I've turned them all off until I work out what to do.

I'll investigate the John Ellis Any Filter as it sounds like that will allow me to get rid of the unwanted Virtual Copies without losing the small amount of work I had done. It could be a useful tool to know about for when I mess up again!

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines