How do I find old removed raw files on disk to delete just those

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my laptop drive is full because the checkbox to delete from disk wasn't checked when I said remove files that were bad. 
im trying to make space on the laptop to install Lightroom.  I've searched but only found how to delete recently removed files. I don't want to delete the good raw files only the many thousands that were removed but not deleted from disk. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Lightroom Classic forum from Photoshop ecosystem

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF you marked them for deletion from LR, they are still "tagged" for that, you just need to use LRs command to delete them to the trash. 

https://www.capturelandscapes.com/simple-trick-to-delete-multiple-images-in-lightroom/

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the files are no longer referenced in Lightroom, there's no direct way to find them. I only have a long winded solution, which is to move all the files currently in Lightroom to a new location. It could be into a single folder on the same drive away from all the other files. Then the old location should contain only unused files as all the files in Lightroom are at the new location. Delete the stuff at the old location. 

Sean McCormack. Author. Magazine Writer. Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another suggested method is-

1) Re-Import all image files (use [Add] and Minimal preview size to minimize disk space used by previews)

2) Immediately after,  View the images that appear in the [Previous Import] list of the Catalog panel.

3) Review the images in this list, select the unwanted and [Delete from Disk] 

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3.1 Photoshop 23.3.2, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.2, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this using the LrC Import module with the below settings. It will take some time to run so be patient and it should reveal the files you Removd from LrC, but not from disk. Be careful that there might be files you want to keep that were never imported into LrC. So check them first in the Import module grid view and uncheck those you want to keep. I found 16 files, which I added back (Add) to LrC.

Removed From Lightroom.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should work. I will check this procedure to clean out unwanted image files in my system.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.4, Lr 5.4, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.4,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so what I eventually did, as my folder structure is, MyPictures>year>subfolders, I selected the year folders individually and utilized the “synchronize” function to identify images not in the Catalog file and imported so I could view the images which then all appeared in the recent import collection and deleted from disk if I did not wish to retain.

This worked for me as I did not expect to find a large volume of files to import, however it allowed me to get rid of several dozen unwanted files.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.4, Lr 5.4, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.4,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's actually a better way to find and delete the orphaned files. If unsure about certain files it allows you right-click on the file, select 'Go to Folder in Library,' and see them next to the other files in that folder.

In my procedure using the Import module the screenshot should show 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates' as unchecked. I'll add a note to my screenshot.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines