Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I ignore subfolders on Sync?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I create a folder to store my photos and a subfolder for rejects. When I import the folder into Adobe Lightroom Classic there is an option to ignore subfolders. I select this and only get the photos I want imported into Lightroom. The problem I have is if I need to sync the folder I use right mouse click and select Synchronize folder it does not have an ignore subfloders option and wants to load all the photos in the reject subfolder.

How do I ignore subfloders during a folder synchronize?

I am using Adobe Ligthroom version 10.3.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me: "Doctor, when I press here it hurts"

Docter: "Don't press there"

Does you Rejects folder have to be a subfolder? Why? Can't it be a folder at the same level as the Photos folder? Or can't they both be a subfolder inside an 'All Photos' parent folder?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Rejects folder is a subfolder. I have a new photos folder for each shoot / day. So the rejects are specific to the parent photos folder. That way I have the rejects that I can view outside of Lightroom.

I not sure why the import dialog has an option to ignore subfolders then the sync dialog does not. The interfaces are very similiar but not having ignore subfloders on the sync dialog makes having it on the import option worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidg19038978 wrote:

Yes Rejects folder is a subfolder. I have a new photos folder for each shoot / day. So the rejects are specific to the parent photos folder. That way I have the rejects that I can view outside of Lightroom.

I not sure why the import dialog has an option to ignore subfolders then the sync dialog does not. The interfaces are very similiar but not having ignore subfloders on the sync dialog makes having it on the import option worthless.

You are missing my point. It's easy to do this and still make it work. Create a parent folder for the shoot, then create two subfolders: 'Accepts' and 'Rejects'. Now you can sync without this problem, by not syncing the Shoot parent folder but the 'Accepts' subfolder inside it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you synchronize, you can choose to open the import window, so you can have access to all those options.

MNiessenPhoto_0-1625303480584.png

That said, as Johan has asked, do you really need to put your rejects in a subfolder?

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import dialog windows is missing the igmore subfloders when using Sync. I have no idea which are reject photos and which are genuine sync photos on the sync dialogue. I am hardly going to do the culling all over again in the sync dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also stepping back to consider the overall workflow: what is 'going on' externally, that even requires re-syncing a given folder after its contents are already imported?

Moving files into workflow folders, altering things directly in the file system, etc can work very well within the realm of "file based" working. This approach considers the photographic image, and a file on disk, as two sides of the same coin with a 1:1 relation to each other. And treats (say) the current folder location of an image file, as having a particular organisational meaning.

But IMO such methods and ideas are inherently a bad fit with Lightroom Classic's "library" approach.

Yes there are some interactions with the file system possible within Lightroom Classic. But its central focus is on metadata methods. Also LrC works best when it is involved as the front-end for such tasks as external editing or - which is far less required and relevant - changes of file location. For such operations to happen behind LrC's back, and then need separate reconciliation, is avoidably messy IMO. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to sync to get Lightroom to notice there is a new file created in Photoshop. E.g. I save PSD files with different version numbers but Lightrrom fails to see these I have to sync for Lightroom to pick them up.

Lightroom looks to have a bug IMHO in that ignore subfolders is on import menu but not on sync menu.

My workflow IS NOT MESSY, so don't start blaming my workflow for Lightroom's buggy sync menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fair enough, "messy" was not aimed at your particular workflow but at the general difficulty of spanning these two different paradigms. Sync effectively becomes a corrective, after some operation has been otherwise unsatisfactory. It is helpful to know what particular use case is giving you trouble. 

I do agree that "ignore subfolders" is an important option and that it should be offered in the context of any Import screen including during Sync Folder.

In this particular use case though, I would be looking to generate these additional PS versions as variants on an existing external edit - "Edit in PS > Copy" working from the LrC front end. That way Lightroom Classic will be immediately aware of (and import) each one naturally. With no other action on your part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you wish to make a feature request use the link below to make the request. That's where Adobe engineers concentrate their attention to bugs and feature requests.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/?mv=affiliate&mv2=red

If there is already a request for the option you are looking for you can add your support.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines