Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I IMPORT photos into a folder based on the EXIF of the photo

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Day

Is there a way to import photos into specific folders based on the EXIF of the photos themselves?

I'm currently using a folder structure of YYYY with subfolders of each month in an MM format.

i.e. C:\...\2021\07

Also, I have many photos already stored in various folders due to inexperience when I first started using LR and Impoting photos.   What are my options for getting all the mis-placed photos into their proper folder based again on each photo's EXIF?

Thanks very much for the feedback and helping me learn!!!   Much appreciated!!!

-Gary

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not at import, but after, you can rearrange what goes where based on keywords, or better yet Smart Collections.

KEYWORDS

One big key to sorting, arranging, finding, is keywords. It is always recommended to apply lots of keywords. This can help you. By including descriptive keywords you could place records of photos into Smart Collections.

Next Collections, especially Smart Collections

COLLECTIONS.

Also key in managing just what you have photographs of are Collections. Including Smart Collections. Create Smart Collections using keywords fir inclusion.

REARRANGE FOLDERS AND FOLDERS CONTENT

Then create the folders you desire, select a Smart Catalog that would logically match that Folders intent, and move the photos in that collection to that folder

NOTE, photos do not actually exist in collections, they exist in folders.

NOTE, photos can be members of multiple collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Additional observation

RENAMING PHOTOS

Consider renaming your photos via the syntax

YYYMMDD_hhmmss

Helps various sorts. In your case, you could use that to move photos in a Smart Collection, to whatever folder, but just those of that date, without having to look at the metadara.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you want photos of a specific date, in one specific folder, and they are all over the place, first select all photos, up top, the Library Filter,, select metadata, select a date metadata, move the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WARNING

Remember ti move photos only in LrC, not in your OS file management

Remember to relocate and/or rename folders only in LrC, in the Folders Panel, not in your OS file management

Otherwise you will foul the database, the catalog, up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A. Import photos by using the  YYYY/MM Template.

1.Set the Import template YYYY/MM

2. Highlight the Topmost Parent Folder in the Destination Panel. LrC will place the photos in- Parent / 2021 / MM

ScreenShot166 copy.jpg

B. Re-arrange photos in Folders (by Date)- see this article link from the Lightroom Queen-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/rearrange-photos-dated-folders/

See a discussion on this topic here-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/can-lr-classic-automatically-re-distribute-already-...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Folks

Thanks very much for the great suggestions!

I apologize for being late getting back to you but I've been immersed in Lr trying the above suggestions.

I'm not there yet but making progress.

I'm definitely better going forward.

Thanks again for all the great help!!

-Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines