• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make an image modified outside of Lightroom Classic appear in Lightroom Classic?

Advocate ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done modifications to an image that already appears in Lightroom, then saved it to the same location and format as the image that does appear in TIFF format. but since I did not modify by choosing 'Edit in...' from within Lightroom and returning to Lightroom I cannot see the modified image in the Lightroom catalog. I would like this image to be included in the files showing in Lightroom but need to know how I can 'bring it in' as it would normally be showing if I had gone through the 'Edit in...' path. Is this possible? And how do I accomplish?

TIA,
Ken

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

So if I undertand your workflow, the answer is to 'Synchronize' the Folder, which 'imports' the new file to the catalog.

In the LrC Folder panel [Right-Click] the folder with the TIF

2023-01-13 08_26_10-Window.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I undertand your workflow, the answer is to 'Synchronize' the Folder, which 'imports' the new file to the catalog.

In the LrC Folder panel [Right-Click] the folder with the TIF

2023-01-13 08_26_10-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Rob, Never had I ever considered right-clicking on a folder in Lightroom. It went to work and brought in the 'outcast' image and now all is well. Appreciation Sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ken, I could have also suggested to use the usual 'Import' process. You would need to navigate to the folder with the new file/s and use the [ADD] option. With [Don't Import suspected duplicates] option set 'on' , only the new file/s will import. But as you have found- 'Synchronize' is just as easy.

This is worth knowing: [Synchronize Folder] has the option to [Remove Missing Photos from Catalog] which can be problematic IF you have 'missing' photos.

Dangers of Synchronize Folder

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The ways I usually handle this are:

If the file is already listed in the Lightroom Classic catalog but the preview or metadata don’t represent the current state of the file, choosing the command Metadata > Read Metadata From File usually re-reads the file and updates Lightroom Classic (including its thumbnail preview) in one step.

If the file is not yet in the Lightroom Classic catalog, although Synchronize or Import work fine, I just drag its document icon and drop it on the Lightroom Classic app icon or window. That opens the Import dialog box without having to navigate to the file or use any menus. (This drag-and-drop method seems to work only on macOS, so in Windows, Synchronize or Import are still the way to go.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines