• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open up part of a photo that underexposed?

Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I open up areas of a photo that are underexposed? For example, the interior of the bottom shoe and the side of the diagonal shoe? I don't need or expect dramatic transformations, but I would like to tweak them a bit.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 7.39.06 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you going to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the new masking tools in Lightroom Classic 11.2. But those seem like a hard thing to select other than by very detailed brushing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick Luminance Mask will isolate the dark areas. You can then adjust Exposure or Shadows for the masked area, as shown in the demo below.

Lightroom Classic mask luminance shadows 2x.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd literally just increase Shadows on this. Alternatively use Tone Curve Shadows, or create a point curve that pushes up about 1/4 in, and then flatten out the top again. Another option is to use the Luminance HSL targeted adjustment tool and click and drag a point up. @Conrad C 's method is for more precise ranges if you need it that precise. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just add a local correction using a brush and increase the values using any of the sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In retrospect I like Sean’s answer. Start with the Shadows slider, because that is a quick adjustment that should restrict itself to the darker parts. If that takes care of it, you are done.

If Shadows affects lighter areas and you don’t want it to, that’s when you might try a luminance mask like the one I showed. That is a more manual way to restrict the adjustment to darker tones as defined by you.

It should not be necessary to take the time to paint a mask with a brush; the reason to do that would be if the luminance mask is still not precise enough (if it lightens areas you don’t want to be lightened).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines