• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Permanently Turn Off Face Recognition?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I decided to move from an old version of Lightroom to the latest Classic and CC and begin syncing all of my platforms but then all of sudden the "People" option showed up and before I was given any sort of an option Lightroom Classic began going through my photos and assigning identities to all of the faces, of my family, friends, clients...people whom I cherish and respect their privacy!  I found an option to pause this activity but the progress bar continued regardless!  I contacted online support whom showed me how to uncheck this option in preferences but that still did not stop the progress bar.  How do I stop this private information being taken from me, my family, friends and clients, whom were all not given any sort of option to remain anonymous?  And how do I get back and erase the identity information that has been stolen from me?

While I've been a long time Adobe user and fan, this is definitely a line I won't cross...and not only will I discontinue my support of Adobe I'll outwardly protest this on social media because if a company nor government can't respect your privacy then they're not acting in your best interest!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Lightroom Classic- Pause Face Detection in the Identity Plate drop-down menu (Top Left Corner of screen).

ScreenShot498.jpg

And Lightroom Classic would create 'Person' keywords in the Catalog- and these can be deleted!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this but the progress bar continued to move across.  I find this really a poor decision by Adobe and it's caused me to begin looking elsewhere for photo editing options.  I already am going to easily make the permanent move to Vegas Pro and Resolve for Video editing.

When a corporation begins scanning peoples faces without their consent nor ability to turn it off it is very Orwellian and creepy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No conspiracy, nothing Orwellian, This is not from the people at Facebook. Be calm.

Should have been off by default, starting would have required acceptance by the user, and later action by the user.

Link below about FR.  Includes how to turn off

Use Intelligent facial recognition in Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not turn this on unless by an accidental mis-click...if it were due to that that is way to easy to begin this process, which is an invasion of privacy if not done deliberately by the user.  Now that Adobe is basically strung to the cloud I have no idea what is being transmitted back to Adobe or not, so TRUST is a big factor.  When I was just sitting here working on a project and then all of a sudden faces from my library start populating across the screen and a progress bar starts going across and there's no obvious way to stop it, it's shocking!  Then when I find the option to "pause" it (that was posted a couple posts back) is unchecked AND THE PROGRESS BAR KEEPS MOVING, that's even more shocking!!!  You just sit there and watch the privacy of everyone in your library being automatically tagged, processed and possibly transmitted back to Adobe with little recourse.

After hours of research considering Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive others I was finally moving full force towards integrating all of my platforms to Adobe and with upgraded cloud storage to accommodate several back up drives, tablets, phone etc...now I'm holding off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why teh F cant I permanetly disable face detection - I have over 300 thoudsand photos in my catalog and without me noticing face detecion came on and cuased so much disk activity it prevented me rom doing anything on the computer as it scanned until I relsied what it was doing and "paused" it - I dont want it paused I want it stopped completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To permanently turn off face detection in Lightroom Classic: uninstall Lightroom Classic from your computer.

There is no other way. I know of no options in any computer software that allow you to permanently turn off features, they can always be turned back on — repeating: this is true for LrC and every other software that I own. Even un-installing is not permanent, you can always re-install.

(By the way, I turned face detection off once in LrC, and it never comes back on again)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This help article explains how to disable it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/face-recognition.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines