• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently needed to make a choice on renewing my subscription. Lack of Smart Collection sync is a real issue. As an amateur photographer, primarily want mobile collections to reflect my smart collections and to be available for off line access.

Lightroom mobile has made some nice enhancements in layout / simplicity of operation. When travelling on holidays the functionality is great. However, this part of the functionality does not justify the annual cost.

Close to cancelling subscription and going back to a perpetual copy of Lightroom as this is still a good platform for cataloging / image correction. Given functionality I used, would not need to upgrade for a number of years. For mobile access Looked at Mylio as this provided an extremely slick mechanism for keeping devices at home all in sync using wifi "watching" smart collections. Clearly provides really quick method of syncing full quality photos from iPad to PC over home wifi after a holiday. Selectively syncing quality required for each device. Mylio is still not quite there yet with a few limitations.

My smart collections are also automatically loaded on one drive. Again, If I'd found some simpler iOS software allowing off line access would have not renewed subscription.

I don't mind paying for a service. Adobe need to realise there are arange of different users and for some just having their "smart collections" available on all devices is where the value exists.

I'll be reviewing options in 12 months time if capability does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart collection syncing would be fantastic. Please consider adding this, if even read only on mobile until the complexities are worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to enhance this feature request by the ability to sync also collection sets. It is frustrating that you cannot sync a set of several hundreds of collections to an iPad without keeping a subfolder structure regardless if you organize it with smart collections or collections sets.

Please add this feature as soon a possible!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so surprised to see that smart collections were not syncable. I can find no reason for this. Please implement it, Adobe - it would be SO useful. Lightroom mobile and syncing seems only half-baked without this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using lightroom mobile is just not very practical without smart collections...shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link's dead.

This is a good reason why adobe should implement this rather than leave it up to the community to find work arounds.

Love you Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR mobile is pointless without syncing of smart collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really need smart collections synced to my iPad Pro.  I just don't have the memory to sync my complete collections.

Two years later, and Adobe still know best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprised this is still not supported. Apple has implemented a "recently deleted" collection that handles accidents very elegantly. A "recently removed" smart collection on Mobile is all you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommand to have one catalog and use smart collections BUT you can only sync manually handled collections from only one catalog.
Lightroom mobile still completely useless from my point of view without this feature... C'mon guys, hurry a little bit for that feature, 2 years from the first request...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree! Come on Lightroom!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit late to the party but must say I am disappointed to find out, after finally going for LR CC, that the mobile sync is just marketing hype. I could't get my collections to sync and after losing an hour over it I found out the well hidden fact that smart collections cannot be synced. Because this was not clear from all the "tutorials" and I only have smart collections I lost a lot of time on this. Not amused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed - I am waiting for this feature too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's been a while since this was initially requested.  Any progress to report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Would make using Instagram easier by getting desired photos to my smartphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would LOVE this feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a super feature. I know it would be really good to be able to sync a smart folder with images from the last 7 days, so that they can be retrieved easily. Most of the work on an image, in my case, will be done in the first few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This woukd be so much easier, showing clients new photos on the ipad that get collected automatically. Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature would be so helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count me in. No valid reason this can't be done. I'm guessing Adobe doesn't want to allocate resources to Lightroom / Lightroom mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later and we still can't sync smart collections? I use smart collections for all my professional work, so this destroys the value of Lightroom Mobile for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's astounding that two years later, LR Mobile still can't use smart collections. I use smart collections for all my professional work, so leaving smart collections out makes Lightroom Mobile worthless to me. The value added by LR Mobile is less than the value of the additional work it would take to create and update redundant, non-smart collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the nature of the way dynamic result sets in databases work, I doubt that Adobe will ever implement that feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please add. The fact it isn't possible seems like a random decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the data that can be stored in a database, there is no reason why smart collections can't be sync'ed with LR Mobile. A simple introduction of a table storing actions would suffice. However, the ability to sync smart collections and the benefits it would bring (sorting/rating/flagging - on the move) far out-ways the inability to 'undo' an action on a desktop device.

I do find it limiting that Adobe have chosen not to implement the ability to sync a smart collection, and can see no sensible reason why not (I'm a DBA so used to working with database systems - and this would easily be achievable if Adobe 'wanted to').

Votes

Translate

Translate