• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
Explorer ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freezing Smart Collections:  I'm not sure whether anyone has suggested this already but why not have Lightroom Mobile (and Web) just treat Smart Collections like manual collections, i.e., the selection criteria for the Smart Collection should only operate on the desktop to select the photos for sync to the cloud and mobile.  If the pick flag is one selection criterion and it is removed in Lrm, then the photo would not disappear from the collection until next time the desktop sync'ed.   There would probably have to be a block on moving photos in and out of such "frozen smart collections" on Web and Lrm.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really surprised this feature is still not implemented. Hope it will be in a near future. For the rest, I LOVE Lightroom Mobile 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I have installed Lightroom Mobile, but I don't use it because of the limitation of not using Smart Collections.  It means an extra step for me to add my selected photos to my collections.  I'd like to be able to have a keyword like "Lightroom Mobile" and have any image with this keyword or a combination of that and another one populate a collection so I can easily maintain my sync'd collections by simply adding or removing the keyword while working on images in my catalog.  Seems like a flaw in the designer's thinking to not have this, and to not express why it isn't included for some technical (?) reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Create your Smart Collection

2) Create a Collection Set that includes the Smart Collection

3) Create a normal Collection that includes the Collection Set  you created in step #2. Enable sync on this Collection.

Boom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Create your Smart Collection

2) Create a Collection Set that includes the Smart Collection

3) Create a normal Collection that includes the Collection Set  you created in step #2. Enable sync on this Collection.

Unfortunately, this will just sync a one-time snapshot of the smart collection.   But if the smart collection results change, those changes won't get synced to LR Mobile.   Most people who want to sync smart collections to LR Mobile want LR Mobile to be updated whenever the smart-collection results change: Lightroom: Ability to sync Smart Collections to Lightroom Mobile / lightroom.adobe.com | Photoshop F...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... Apparently not 'Boom' then.

Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's great! Thank you very much! I will give it shot later today.

Thank you,

Brett

Sent from my Samsung device

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the first thing to do is to bad rate the mobile applications, Adobe will be probably be more concerned by public comments and rate than user satisfaction message here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea this needs to be a thing. I basically only have smart collections based on flags and keywords. LR Mobile is useless to me without this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Smart collection because of their obvious practical & flexible structure. What's the point of having the feature, allowing regular collections to sync with mobile, but Not having Smart Collections sync with mobile. It's like restricting one to eat only 1 type of lollipop.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn.  The ability to sync smart collections would be a big plus....

Motny

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would also love to see Smart Collections on mobile. I know this must be difficult b/c iCloud Photo Library doesn't do Smart Album syncing either, but would love to know more about why this feature isn't available on mobile.

I make a lot of use of keywords and metadata, and I'd love to see Lightroom Mobile take advantage of the Smart Collections I've made on the Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on the progress? i'm waiting for a year

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2016 Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the point made by Tom Hogarty, if a user amended the pick status and that amendment would remove the photo(s) from Lightroom mobile , surely a dialogue box informing the user would be sufficient?

/necromancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumped onto Lightroom Mobile today for the first time, while being a Lightroom CC user since years. 
I'm thrilled by the addition of RAW DNG capture in Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone 6s Plus (which is why I started digging and testing the app) but the unavailability of syncing Smart Collections through Lightroom Mobile is a huge enthousiast killer.
Adobe, please add this functionality, people seem to be requesting this for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could use the smart collection sync. onto LRM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you add your vote and opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Ability to sync Smart Collections to Lightroom Mobile / lightroom.adobe.com | Photoshop F...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a new LR user, after learning how to sync with mobile devices I was very startled to find that smart collections are not included in this technology. A brief read-through of the comments shows that there are some problems, but I urge you Adobe to make some choices and get up some version of sync for smart collections. It is really an essential feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this not a feature yet???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost another year gone waiting for this feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years after... still #1 request but whatever, it's like Adobe doesn't really care about that and their customers. This "request feature" forum is a joke. It's time to move on and find an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, Adobe.  Please add syncing for Smart Collections!  If there is a reason you have not added it, will you please reply here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to the cloud version of Lightroom assuming that this would work. I read the "Sync Lightroom across desktop and mobile platforms" page before deciding to upgrade, but it never mentions that this doesn't work with smart collections. This is an obvious feature, and it's complete crap that it isn't supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this still hasn't been implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate