• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How long are you keeping your old LR backup files?

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Trying to free up some space on my computer and noticed I have numerous LR back up folders going back to 2013. I don't feel I need to keep all these old folders do most of you just keep the more current back up folders say for the past couple years?

Thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the LR backup schema at all, it only backs up the catalog and a good backup should do far more than that. You want to backup everything you can never afford to lose. Images, catalog, presets etc.

But to answer your question, you don't need old catalog backups. You want one at least, maybe two IF you continue down this road using LR to only backup a catalog. Save space, trash the older ones.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  Yes, I do also have Back Blaze and everything cloned on an external - appreciate your input on dumping some of the older ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR backup folders containing WHAT? What is in those backup folders? Inquiring minds want to know (and can't answer your question unless you tell us that information)

Essentially, with regards to any backups of anything (not just Lightroom Classic) ... you keep as many as you feel comfortable with, after all, the risk is yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a utility called 'Hazel', that can perform all kinds of automatic actions on folders. What it does in my case is keep the number of catalog backups down to a certain number, by automatically deleting the oldest copy if that number has been reached and a new backup is added. I do make catalog backups (but also general backups of my entire disk) because Lightroom does not only make a catalog backup, but also verifies the integrity and optimizes the catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hazel is awesome, +1.

I use it to convert screen captures; assign disaply profile, convert to sRGB and save as JPEG from TIFF.

And indeed, useful to keep a set of backups, or any file up to a point (date, number of) then automatically delete or move or zip etc. Worth every penny.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines