• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change Library folder count to not includes versions

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The library count on the left shows the number of photos including all versions. I'd prefer it to show the number of stacks/unique photos. When I'm working on photos for a client I like to know how many I'm delivering (and how many I have left to edit), and I can't see that at a glance since the numbers are hugely overstated once all the photos have photoshop edits on them. Is there a setting to change how this is displayed?

Example, 10 photos with 14 edits, displays as 24 photos (but there are only 10 unique photos I'm delivering)
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 9.44.57 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked for this ages ago and they don't seem to care. VCs should not be included in the raw count, but Adobe has decided that they should be. Who knew that virtual copies are real photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked for this ages ago and they don't seem to care. VCs should not be included in the raw count, but Adobe has decided that they should be. Who knew that virtual copies are real photos?

By @Earth Oliver

They define count differently than you do. Virtual copies are not real files, but they are photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i shoot 1631 photos tomorrow, import them into a folder with tomorrows date, then the image count in the folder is 1631. If i then run through my edits and make a few VCs for whatever reason, the folder number will never again reflect an accurate count of the number of images in the folder on my HDD. I could care less that i have 32 VC's in the folder, because what matters are the original assets, not virtual ones. 

The solution for this is so simple, but i doubt they'll ever implement. Right-Click on the drive in Folders and have a check for Include VCs. BTW, it currently includes an option for 'Photo Count.' VCs aren't real photos and i don't want them included in the asset count. Why isn't there an option to disable? Why do we need to filter or create smart collections just to see our physical asset count?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtual copies are every bit as "real", and also every bit as "unreal", as master copies are. A simple command can flip which one is which, in relation to a given imported file.

Stacking can certainly show which version from a number of versions (deriving from one imported file or from more that one) is the "hero". But this same folder may include not yet stacked photos also; plus, some of the stacks may be collapsed and others expanded at a certain moment. So getting a useful count of the sort you want based on stacking is inherently a bit of a problem. Furthermore, stacking can't operate except in the context of a single folder or a single collection, which is a restriction.

So I recommend some more fluid means. For example ratings, in combination with a view filter that works off these ratings to progressively winnow down the starting full set until everything but the final selection is on-the-fly hidden. This makes clear what remains to do, as you go. A filtered view shows an accurate count of the images visible, whatever sort they are and however many or few imported files may be involved..

You may also, or instead, want to add this set of selected versions to a dedicated Collection - a persisting, named, virtual 'portfolio'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've provided some useful suggestions here. If I were trying to keep count of deliverable assets to a customer, I would probably opt to send them to a Smart Collection using a unique keyword for that particular shoot or assignment that I had added to just the final, edited image. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Filter Bar, click on Attribute, then click on Original Photos icon and the Videos icon (if you want to count videos), but do not click on the virtual copies icon; and then the Filmstrip will tell you something like this: 44 of 46 photos selected, so ... in that case, you have 44 non-virtual copy images and 46 images total (including virtual copies).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines