• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to copy and process red labeled photos?

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I sorted my photos, and red labeled the better photos.

How can I make a copy only of the red labeled photos to a new folder, and continue to process them (Develop), and maybe delete some from the copies in the new folder?

Thanks,

Efrat

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

The originals aren't backups, you have create backups manually, preferably to a different disk.

And like I said, you cannot copy files in Lightroom.

1.  Yes you can. In Library, set your filter bar up like this. If you can't see it, press Ctrl + L.
    image.png

2. You can, by selecting them all in Library, and then pressing Ctrl + ' (apostrophe), or right clicking and choosing Create virtual copies. However, you don't need virtual copies unless you want to create several versions of an image.

3.  Virtual copies do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does non-destructive editing, and never changes the original files. Edits are written as text to the catalog.

When you export or print, the edits are applied to a new file, and the original remains unchanged.

So simply edit your red labelled photos, and if you need to use them outside of Lightroom, export copies (usually jpgs) to a folder of your choice.

Copying files in Lightroom is not possible, and there is no need for it.

If you want to create several versions of an image, use Virtual Copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pen.

I consider the originals as "backups". I planned to copy the selected red labled photos, in order to manage only a subset of photos.

1. Is it possible to display only the red labeled photos?
  2. Can I make Virtual Copies of all red labeled photos at once?
  3. If I create Virtual Copies in a different folder - where are the xmp files kept?
  4. Do you know of a better way to sort and work with only selected photos?

Thank,

Efrat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originals aren't backups, you have create backups manually, preferably to a different disk.

And like I said, you cannot copy files in Lightroom.

1.  Yes you can. In Library, set your filter bar up like this. If you can't see it, press Ctrl + L.
    image.png

2. You can, by selecting them all in Library, and then pressing Ctrl + ' (apostrophe), or right clicking and choosing Create virtual copies. However, you don't need virtual copies unless you want to create several versions of an image.

3.  Virtual copies don't reside in folders, they only exist as alternative edits (text) in the catalog.

4.  See #2

Please understand that your images are not in Lightroom, or in the catalog.

The catalog only contains references to the image's location, as well as the edits.

You may find this article useful: Lightroom Classic basics

Also check out The Lightroom Queen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Per, that is exactly what I was looking for. Still reading...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: Yes, you can filter on label color.

2: Yes, you can select all these images and then select the menu or the shortcut for creating a virtual copy.

3: You cannot create a virtual copy in another folder. Virtual copies are always shown in the same folder as the original, because they are just a second set of metadata belonging to that original. You can place a virtual copy and its original in different collections, however.

4: Learn how to use collections and smart collections.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines