• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete only the JPEG version of a RAW+JPEG file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when I shoot in RAW+JPEG mode on the camera, LrC displays the file as a "RAW+JPEG" file.

How can I delete only the JPEG and not the RAW?

Thanks, J.B.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

If Lightroom displays 'RAW+JPEG', then it didn't import the JPEG at all. Instead, the JPEG is considered as a sidecar file. That means you gain very little if you take the trouble to delete them via the workaround that @Jao vdL described.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible within Lightroom if you have already imported them like that. You can delete them external to Lightroom CLassic and the synchronize the folder. It is actually a better idea to, before you import, to make sure you have checked "treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" in Preferences->General. This way the jpegs come in as actual images instead of being used as sidecar files and you can easily delete them inside Lightroom by using the filters if you need to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom displays 'RAW+JPEG', then it didn't import the JPEG at all. Instead, the JPEG is considered as a sidecar file. That means you gain very little if you take the trouble to delete them via the workaround that @Jao vdL described.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I just treat them as RAWS then?

Also,  all the editing and exporting happens with the RAW file, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jethro B. wrote:

Should I just treat them as RAWS then?

Also,  all the editing and exporting happens with the RAW file, right?

Just ignore them. Like I said; they have not really been imported, so indeed all the editing and exporting happens with the raw files.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines