Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to FTP photos from Canon R6 (or R5) remotely to LR Classic

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I complete media coverage for sailing events and want to be able to send selected images directly from my camera (whilst out on the water) into LR Classic to enable someone to do a quick edit and display images on a TV (by loading them on to a USB stick).

I use Photoshelter as my website and have been able to setup my R6 to FTP selected images to a Photoshelter gallery however I want the images to automatically be added to LR. I could use this process however my on-shore editor would first need to download the images from Photoshelter and import them into LR before they could progress.

I am aware of the LR 'watched folder' functionality which, if I was able to get the selected images into Dropbox or the like would provide a workable solution but I have only worked out FTP from the R6 to Photoshelter and not Dropbox.

So in theory my envisaged workflow is...

1. Photos taken

2. Downselected images are selected in camera and transferred via FTP (using a hotspot with my phone) to a FTP server such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc.

3. I have LR setup to watch the folder these photos are being uploaded to

4. My on-shore editor completes a quick edit and exports the photos to a USB stick for presenting

I have also checked if I could use Zapier to transfer the images from Phtooshelter into my watched folder (for instance by copying them to Google Drive) however there is no Photoshelter Zapier integration.

Any help appreciated.  

I am using the latest versions of LR Classic on a M1 iMac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd probably go Selected Images>Watched Folder>Photoshelter folder in Lightroom (but located in dropbox).

The watched folder doesn't have to be on dropbox. 

Just don't have the catalog in Dropbox as it can lead to conflicted versions. 

That way the images are in Lightroom and on Dropbox at the same time. 

If Photoshelter can watch a folder for FTP sync, it would be this same folder. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

I have been trying to work out the solution you are suggesting but afraid I'm stuck.

Would you be able to expand a bit more? Especially around the element on where the photos get transferred to from the camera?

Are you suggesting FTPing the images to Photoshelter initially and then somehow syncing these to Dropbox or are you suggesting sending the images to Dropbox directly from the camer and then syncing these to Photoshelter?

I have done a lot of Google searching and can't find any decent info on how to setup FTP link to Dropbox direct from a R5.

I have also seperately setup the Photoshelter published service plugin in LR which syncs my Photoshelter folder structure but this only syncs images that are already within LR so I can't see how this would work if I FTPed the images directly to Photoshelter as these images wouldn't be synced with LR.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious. I promise you I'm reasonably tech savvy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not familiar with the R5 at all. If I was tethering, it'd be either cable or wifi to a folder which is actually the watch folder. Cable is faster so I generally opt for that. 

From the watched folder, I'd have Lightroom send the files to a folder in Dropbox via the destination option in Auto Import. 

I don't have the Photoshelter plugin, but I assume it uses physical locations on disk, and this could be in Dropbox. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines