How to invert a multi-component Subject mask in LR Classic

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how to invert a subject mask that has various adjustment masks (say, plus and minus brushes) attached to it. I don't see how to to this in Lightroom classic. Granted, the new masking properties are great, but if you need to adjust your Subject mask because LR didn't create a perfect one, and you then want to consolidate all of the adjustments into a new, updated Subject -- LR does not provide a way to do this. I see this as a huge omission because you can't apply new adjustments to this new consolidated subject mask. Nor can you invert this new consolidated mask. If you try -- and I did -- LR defaults back to the original faulty subject mask. It doesn't read or recognize the new mask it itself just created. 

Unless I'm missing something or doing something wrong!

So, please, if anyone knows a way to do this, kindly share your knowledge here.

If there is no way to do this, I hope Adobe will address this omission in an update to the program, hopefully, soon. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! These videos are much appreciated!

Even though it's still not possible to invert a multi-component mask in one shot, these videos explain how to do it in a piecemeal way. It's more complicated Han it needs to be. So I hope Adobe will introduce this capability soon. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a long thread about this in the ideas section, with the request to make it simpler by having an "Invert" option at the level of the total mask. I believe the status is "planned". In the meantime you can already do this as follows: invert the base mask, then right-click on each submask and toggle add/subtract.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Your explanation makes sense to me only now, after having seen the 2 videos mentioned above. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also use the Invert Mask command of the Copy Settings plugin.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm not familiar with this plugin. Does it allow one to make a consolidated new Subject mask out of multi-component masks? 

Also, just curious: does it allow one to add opacity to a mask? What about intersecting with a previously made mask?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does it allow one to make a consolidated new Subject mask out of multi-component masks?"

No, it just automates the steps that are shown in the videos and recipes for investing masks.  What precisely are you looking for in "consolidating" a mask?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Does it allow one to add opacity to a mask?"

What do you mean by adding opacity?  There is the Amount slider for each mask -- is that what you're thinking of?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines