• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make virtual copies name as individual files?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lightroom changed how it names copies and I'm not sure how to change it back! It used to name copies as individual files (pic 1, pic 2, pic 3, etc), but now it is is naming them as pic 1, pic 1 copy, pic 3, etc. Is there a setting somewhere I can change this in? 

I batch name photos if that makes a difference, on a windows computer.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Copy Name field in the Metadata panel in the Library module

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding this information in case it helps - you may already be familiar with these points:

I believe all virtual copies in Lightroom retain the File Name of the original and add a Copy Name, which defaults to "copy 1", "copy 2", etc.  You can change the Copy Name for each VC individually (I use the metadata panel).  I just checked and if you change the File Name of a VC it also changes the File Name of the original.

But what you see in your screenshot is also affected by your Loupe Info Overlay settings.

If you aren't familiar with this, go to "Develop View Options" in the View menu.  You have a lot of choices for the first line of the display, including "File Name and Copy Name" which you may have expected, and "Copy Name or File Name" which appears to actually be selected.  And, of course, you can cycle between Loupe Info 1, Loupe Info 2, and Neither.

You can see the File Name and Copy Name individually in the metadata panel if you select a metadata preset that includes those fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines