• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to re-link edits (.xml files) after messing up file-system structure?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just messed up my catalogue, BIG TIME. I created some folders in Windows Explorer and sorted my existing source folders with original photos into these folders. Of course, this raised question marks inside Lightroom (meaning: the link to original source images was lost).

I didn't know how to solve this problem so I did the right click on the top folder in hierarchy and chose "Synchronize folders". This properly removed and re-imported all the photos, now sorted into my newly created subfolders by years BUT all the edits are now gone. No picks/rejects, star ratings, color labels, preset edits, nothing...

Is there a way to bring this back? Are there original .xml's stil present, can I somehow make Lightroom re-connect those or not?

Many thanks in advance!
Alex
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, a  link on missing folders, missing photos, and how to fix:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Recommend you start with Part 2, fixing missing folders usually fixes missing photos.

Second up. the xmp files, the sidecar files should be in the same folder as the photos.with same file names other than file extension .xmp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First up, a  link on missing folders, missing photos, and how to fix:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Recommend you start with Part 2, fixing missing folders usually fixes missing photos.

By @GoldingD

Part 1 contains instructions to fix missing photos and folders, not Part 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a backup of your catalog file before you made this error? If so, all of your problems can be solved by using this backup of your catalog file.

XMP files (not .xml files) may or may not have your edits in them, but the catalog is where your edits are definitely stored, and so if you have the backup of your catalog file, then you can solve the problem easily. Use the backup of your catalog file and follow the instructions here to fix the question mark icons: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

IMPORTANT ADVICE: do not re-import photos; NEVER RE-IMPORT PHOTOS; and in this case, synchronize folders is also a terrible idea because it re-imports photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines