Using the Adobe SDK, I have programmed my own custom Metadata fields to be listed in the Library module. It works great. However, I would really like this to be the metadata field list that is used when LR starts, rather than having to specify it each time, as LR starts with its default metadata field list. Is there a way to do this? I have searched but have not found any way this can be done.
I am using LR classic on Windows.
Thanks for any suggestions/help.
The sort should 'stick' and remember the last setting used. It may be that there is a command in your custom sort that is missing which exists in the canned options. I'm not sure if it will work however did you try saving your custom metadata filter as a preset?
Thanks for your quick answer. I figured it out this morning. See my answer to Ian Lyons below.
Oh nice! Thanks for updating your post. It will be helpful to anyone else encountering a similar issue.
Yup, that is why I posted the details of my answer. 😉
Custom Metadata Field lists should use the file extension ".lrtemplate" and be stored in a folder named "Metadata Field Lists" (without quotes). This folder should be inside the "Lightroom" folder as shown below. Note that you may need to create the folder as its not created by default
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Metadata Field Lists\[xxxxx.lrtemplate]
/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Metadata Field Lists/XXXXX.lrtemplate
Thank you for the quick answer. I had already done what you suggested.
But now I've figured out my problem. I actually had two custom lists. For the first one, "AKP custom", I used the Adobe SDK to create the .lrtemplate file and it worked just fine. However, there were some things that I wanted to include that I could not get with the SDK, so I used Jeffrey Friedl's excenllent "“Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” to create a second list called "AKP custom2". The first list was "sticky" (i.e., it would stay when I closed then reopened Lightroom), but the second list was not. I realized this was because the plugin was not writing the .lrtemplate file to that AppData folder, then went back to the plugin instructions and saw that I had not set the option to create a static preset. Now all works fine. Lesson learned.