• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set custom Metadata set as default?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Adobe SDK, I have programmed my own custom Metadata fields to be listed in the Library module.  It works great.  However, I would really like this to be the metadata field list that is used when LR starts, rather than having to specify it each time, as LR starts with its default metadata field list.   Is there a way to do this?  I have searched but have not found any way this can be done.  

I am using LR classic on Windows.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Thank you for the quick answer.  I had already done what you suggested. 

But now I've figured out my problem.  I actually had two custom lists.  For the first one, "AKP custom", I used the Adobe SDK to create the .lrtemplate file and it worked just fine.  However, there were some things that I wanted to include that I could not get with the SDK, so I used Jeffrey Friedl's excenllent "“Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” to create a second list called "AKP custom2".  The first list was "sticky" (i.e.,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sort should 'stick' and remember the last setting used. It may be that there is a command in your custom sort that is missing which exists in the canned options. I'm not sure if it will work however did you try saving your custom metadata filter as a preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick answer.  I figured it out this morning.  See my answer to Ian Lyons below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh nice! Thanks for updating your post. It will be helpful to anyone else encountering a similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, that is why I posted the details of my answer. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Custom Metadata Field lists should use the file extension ".lrtemplate" and be stored in a folder named "Metadata Field Lists" (without quotes). This folder should be inside the "Lightroom" folder as shown below. Note that you may need to create the folder as its not created by default

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Metadata Field Lists\[xxxxx.lrtemplate] 

/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Metadata Field Lists/XXXXX.lrtemplate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick answer.  I had already done what you suggested. 

But now I've figured out my problem.  I actually had two custom lists.  For the first one, "AKP custom", I used the Adobe SDK to create the .lrtemplate file and it worked just fine.  However, there were some things that I wanted to include that I could not get with the SDK, so I used Jeffrey Friedl's excenllent "“Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” to create a second list called "AKP custom2".  The first list was "sticky" (i.e., it would stay when I closed then reopened Lightroom), but the  second list was not.  I realized this was because the plugin was not writing the .lrtemplate file to that AppData folder, then went back to the plugin instructions and saw that I had not set the option to create a static preset.  Now all works fine.  Lesson learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines