• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to upgrade from Lr Classic v9 in an old Mac to v11 in a new Mac Studio?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stayed with v9.4 of Lr Classic since 2020 in an old Mac, with an active subscription.

I am transitioning to a new Mac Studio and want to upgrade to Lr Classic v11.4 with a catalog of 100k photos.

I will appreciate advice or reference on how to do this safely.

Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd love to help you figure this out.

Lightroom Classic offers you compatibility with early versions of Lightroom & you can upgrade a catalog with Lightroom Classic.

You would first want to move your presets & the catalog.lrcat, catalog.lrcat-data, Previews.lrdata, and (if present) Smart Previews.lrdata files from the old mac to your new Mac Studio. Please note that the original images are stored separately from the catalog itself. Moving the catalog & rela

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd love to help you figure this out.

Lightroom Classic offers you compatibility with early versions of Lightroom & you can upgrade a catalog with Lightroom Classic.

You would first want to move your presets & the catalog.lrcat, catalog.lrcat-data, Previews.lrdata, and (if present) Smart Previews.lrdata files from the old mac to your new Mac Studio. Please note that the original images are stored separately from the catalog itself. Moving the catalog & related files does not transfer your original photos.

Once the catalog is on the MacBook, you can double-click on the catalog to open with Lightroom Classic. This should prompt Lightroom Classic's upgrade pop-up screen as follows.

SameerK_0-1657718609293.png

Check this article for help with moving the catalog to a new computer and upgrading an old catalog to work on a more recent version of Lightroom Classic: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-catalogs.html

We hope it helps,

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked very well!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very good tips!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines