• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can not get Lightroom to work. 2 issues so far.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I have Lightroom istalled on a reasonably fast laptop computer - i7 processor, lots of storage on the computer, as well as 2 TB on an external drive, and 16GB of RAM

However, everytime I start up, select a menu, or click something I get a minute or four of a "not responding" alert, followed by a long freeze. Zero files have been uploaded to it, so it is not the cach.

That is the first problem. It makes the thing impossible to work with, let alone learn how to use it.

Second, I grabbed an official Adobe instruction manual that comes with some files for tutorials.

It suggests I create an alternative catalog to keep the tutorial files seperate. I went through the steps. In settings I have Lightroom prompt me so I can select the tutorial catalog, as per the manual instructions. I created that catalog on my local drive, again as instructed.

However, the only iteration offered me when I am prompted is the mirror catalog on OneDrive. If I try to import files to it I get an alert saying the catalog is not avaiable. The alert says the files will be imported to the default catalog in the Pictures folder on OneDrive instead.

I have deleted and created a cataloge on my local drive a number times, but it stubornly refuses recognize it, always going for the OneDrive catalog.

I frequently work with no internet available. I can not use the OneDrive folder most of the time. How do I create a local drive catalog?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

However, everytime I start up, select a menu, or click something I get a minute or four of a "not responding" alert, followed by a long freeze. Zero files have been uploaded to it, so it is not the cach.

That is the first problem. It makes the thing impossible to work with, let alone learn how to use it.

By @Dan Perry

Do you have a Logitech mouse or keyboard? If you do,  you have probably installed LogiOptions, which has a plugin for Lightroom that is known to cause very long startup times.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to provide more information. In particular, the actul version number of Lightroom you've installed (10.4 is the latest), and the version of Windows. In meantime, you can hold down the Alt/Option key when starting Lightroom to open a dialog from which you can select the location and catalog you wish to open.

BTW, the Lightroom catalog cannot be run from a Cloud drive, NAS or Network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, the only iteration offered me when I am prompted is the mirror catalog on OneDrive. I

DO NOT run LrC catalogs from networked drives, be it NAS or Cloud.

Options

• In LrC, create a new catalog, navigate to a hard drive.
  • In LrC, move the catalog from the Cloud to a hard drive.
  • Using Windows Explorer, copy the existing catalog, and place the copy on a hard drive, kepp the copy on the cloud as backup if desired. 

How Lightroom Classic catalogs work

Create and Manage Catalogs

How do I find and move or rename my catalog?

Pointing Lightroom Classic to a New Drive

Lightroom Classic Find Missing or Moved Folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies.

I have Windows 10 Home version 21H1 installed.

Lightroom version 10.4. is installed.

My laptop does not have an option key. However, if you mean this dialog box Ian,...

In spite of only ever creating a catalog on the laptop hard drive, the only options I am offered are...

LiteRm.PNG

I have never intentionally created a catalog on OneDrive. As you can see, only the OneDrive catalogs are available despite having created the catalogs only on my local drive on the laptop.

I have only ever navigated to the hard drive on the laptop to create a catalog, but that catalog is never an option. Lightroom always selects the OneDrive path and completely ignores what is on the laptop hard drive. I have checked and and the catalogs do exist on the laptop where I created it, but Lightroom is blind to them. There is no way I can get Lightroom to recognize a catalog on my hard drive.

LRCat.PNG

1. If I delete the OneDrive version of a catalog, it vanishes from my local on board hard drive on the laptop also.

2. If I select, Choose a Different Catalog, I can navigate to the one on the PC, but Lightroom refuses to select it. It defaults to the OneDrive catalog version.

3. If I select, Create a New Catalog in the dialog box pictured above and create one on my local hard drive, nothing happens.

And the program still hangs forever. I'm a Linux guy. I thought computer freezes and hangs were a thing of the past. I bought a Windows computer to use Lightroom and Photoshop. It has been a pretty big investment. I really would love to get this sorted out.

Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might suggest to stop the sync to OneDrive-

Use File Explorer to open the OneDrive folders and [Right-Click] on a file for the context menu- [Choose OneDrive folders to sync]

2021-10-18 17_15_02-.jpg

This will open up a dialog where you turn off all OneDrive syncs-

2021-10-18 17_15_31-Documents.jpg

Then try again to open a catalog in your {Pictures/Lightroom} folder by a [Double-Click]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can navigate to the one on the PC, but Lightroom refuses to select it. It defaults to the OneDrive catalog version.

What happens if you use Windows Explorer to navigate to that catalog on the hard drive. And instead of starting LrC the normal way, you double click on that catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, thanks for the suggestions.

Rob, if I right click a OneDrive folder nothing comes up that says, Choose OneDrive folders to synch.

The cloest things I can find to the dialoge box you show are these...

Unselected.PNGStart.PNG

The first one hides folders and files from the PC, but leaves them avaiable online. That is the

opposite of what I need. The second box just lets you start or stop backups for everything.

GoldingD, it just defaults to the OneDrive version even if I click on the file on the laptop harddrive and then tells me I can't use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think I made an error with my 'OneDrive' suggestions. Apologies!

I tried my suggestion and unchecked the option boxes and all my 'Local' copies of the OneDrive folders went to my Trash. 😞

I perhaps should have suggested to copy the Lightroom Folder 'out' of OneDrive, and work the Catalog that will not be synced to OneDrive. So that would mean placing it NOT in your Documents Folders that are synced.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Dan Perry

Do you have a Logitech mouse or keyboard? If you do,  you have probably installed LogiOptions, which has a plugin for Lightroom that is known to cause very long startup times.

Go to File > Plugin Manager to disable it.

LR-logioptions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to File > Plugin Manager to disable it.

Yes!! That was it!! The sneeky bastards! Thanks.

Now for the other issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have discovered why my catalogs always end up on a OneDrive network path.

I assumed that if I put something in > OneDrive > Pictures it would be stored on the OneDrive cloud server.

And if I put something in > This PC > Pictures it would be stored on this PC meaning the local PC on hand - the local drive. Yes it would be synched and duplicated on OneDrive, but there would be a discrete, stand alone, fully functioning file on the local hardrive.

To my shock, that is not the case. Have a look at these properties screenshots.

OneDriveProperties.jpgThisPCProperties.jpg

Look at the location path. They are the exact same file! Both are on the same path on the same network. One file is a little larger because it had not finished synching.

No wonder when you turn off OneDrive the files also vanish from This PC.

So the only way to make catalogs work is to put them in a folder that is not synched with OneDrive or turning OneDrive off. I gather the tutorial book that I have been following just assumed the computer would not have OneDrive installed or turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines