• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot access any drop down menu options

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Creative Cloud on Windows 10 - both updated editions.

For some time, I have experienced an issue where I am unable to access the items from any drop down list.  I can use the system OK if I dont need to access a drop down menu.  I have reset, deleted and re-installed software.  I cannot refresh catelogue as that requires me to access an item from the drop down menu - very frustrating.  I dont think Windows 11 is fully supported yet is it?

Anyone experienced the same?

Thanks

Lynda

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the menu bar disappears? Sometimes an issue in full screen misbehaving. Does Shft-F help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem that I haven't seen discussed on other posts.

When I start Lightroom Classic, I cannot access any of the top menus. For instance, if I click on the "File" menu, I get a dropdown list, but I cannot choose any of the items ("Open Recent..."). I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with multiple versions, with no effect. When I boot into Windows 10 safe mode, I can access the menus correctly - but the performance is many times slower.

System Info:

Lightroom Classic version: 11.0 [ 202110120910-0bccc70d ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.19042
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.8GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16106.7 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16106.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1432.8 MB (8.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1596.0 MB
GDI objects count: 729
USER objects count: 1909
Process handles count: 1691
Memory cache size: 850.6MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.0 [ 950 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 383MB / 8053MB (4%)
Camera Raw real memory: 387MB / 16106MB (2%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: E:\Photos\Lightroom 11\NC Photos LR11\NC Photos LR11.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\ncree\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) LRT Export 5
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 1414
Device : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Revision : 0
Video Memory : 0
Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414
Device : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Revision : 0
Video Memory : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: $$$/dvaaudiodevice/SystemDefaultAndEffectiveDeviceName=System Default - Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio)#{comment}DVAAU-4201250: Open the audio hardware preferences page.
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000
Build: LR5x38
Direct2DEnabled: true
Direct2DPresent: true
GPUDeviceEnabled: false
OGLEnabled: false

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered the possibility of a corrupt preference file.

see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior. A corrupt preference file will survive uninstalls, updates, and upgrades. By renaming or moving or deleting the preference file you create a situation where LrC will recreate a fresh new one upon startup of LrC. Be aware various settings will revert to defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted the preference file multiple times, without any change in behavior. The GPU has also been turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd that no Graphics Processor is listed. What sort of computer is this? What GPU or Video Controol does it have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dell Inspiron 7506 2n1 laptop. Elsewhere, the graphics processor is listed as Intel Iris We Max Graphics (no model number).

I want to emphasize that LR behaves normally in Windows Safe Mode. Catalog integrity is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Intel Iris Xe Max Graphics. (Fat fingers!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to emphasize that LR behaves normally in Windows Safe Mode."

That is unusual. You could use the System Configuration app to see if there is a particular startup item, driver, or system service that is conflicting with LR:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-perform-clean-boot-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-confli... 

With no more than 8-10 reboots :-< you should be able to narrow down the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, System Configuration was not able to help. After the clean boot with services disabled, LR still froze when I tried to access a menu choice. I can confirm that LR does run normally in Windows Safe Mode.

I did notice that, after the clean boot, some McAfee ant-virus services did re-start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After the clean boot with services disabled"

Did you disable the startup items too?

"some McAfee ant-virus services did re-start."

If you haven't already, try completely disabling Mcafee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DISASTER! I tried the msconfig clean boot again, and it wiped out my login PIN!

After several hours trying to get to a point where I could re-set the PIN, it seems I will have to re-set Windows back to the point when I bought the computer (last May). I do have back-ups for all files, but it willstill take some time to get everything re-installed. On the bright side, I should be able to eliminate the software conflict.

Thanks everyone for your help1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably too late, but see this post about how to fix the problem without reinstalling Windows:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-mode-something-happened-and-your-pi...

I hadn't heard of this problem with msconfig / System Configuration before.  What a mess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else recently reported very similar symptoms. 

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this other report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/i-cannot-access-any-drop-down-menu-opti... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on the same device. 
Did you get it running somehow? I'm getting a little bit frustrated, as Lightroom becomes unusable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meanwhile I found the solution, with the hint from another thread in this forum pointing to a faulty tablet driver. For me it was the Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000!

After installing the Microsoft Keyboard an Mouse Studio (with the current drivers), Lightroom behaves normally again.

The problem yet only occurred within Lightroom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines