• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I’m getting a new MacBook pro. Want to transfer all my photos from Lightroom and Apple photos (incl

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a new MacBook Pro. Trying to decide how large a hard drive to get. l Want to transfer all my photos from Lightroom Classic and Apple photos (including iPhoto) to the MacBook Pro. How can I find out how many GB of the photos from each one. Will transfer just the photos from the my iMac to MacBook pro. Nothing else. Have 69,000 photos in Lightroom Classic file and 26,000 in Apple photo library. Thank you.
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information would be helpful.

• What size of disk drive is on your current computer?
  • How full is the drive?
  • Are your photos currently stored on the current drive?

Above will help to determine the smallest drive to be considered.

• Is an external drive for your LrC catalog and/or photos an acceptable alternative to a larger internal drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply
1. Three TB. but have other large file on my computer. Have a Backup drive of 6 TB

2. 874.46 GB available of 3.12 TB

3. Yes

4. Want the photo on the computer. The MacBook pro will be mainly for the photos.
Presently have an iMac (27-inch, late 2012) which works great.
I’m purchasing a new computer to use for Lightroom and in the future Photoshop.
Cannot update to latest version of Lightroom and Photoshop. Have macOS Cataline Version 10.15.7.
Want to know how many GB the Photos are using on my computer.
Should I purchase a 1 or 2 TB hard drive? Or course I will also get a backup drive,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MacBook pro will be independent of my iMac. i.e.  Everything to do with Lightroom amd Photoshop

Will be on the iMac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Classic, hopefully all your images are stored in a single folder location. In that case, you can just do a get info in Finder on that folder and you should get the total size of the images in Classic. You should also do this for the catalog file and for the previews folder next to it. This should give you an estimate of total amount of space it is taking up.

For Photos, it depends on whether you are using iCloud photo library. If you are then effectively the images take up no space as they will download from Apple's servers on demand and you don't even have to copy it over to the other computer. Just log on to the same iCloud account and you're off. If you are not doing that,  just do a get info on the Photos Library.photoslibrary file you'll find in your Pictures folder. If you're still using iPhoto, there is a similarly named container in the same pictures folder.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. 
Thank four your reply.

Don’t know if all my photos are in a 

single folder. But there are a few library listing with various sizes. Looking for a main library with the total amount. Trying to decide should I get either 1TB or 2TB hard drive. Plus will get a backup drive. 
Don't use icloud. Also, don't use iphoto. But of course I want the photos from iphoto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look in the left panel in Lightroom Classic. Next to the indicator for the main hard disk you will see a small indicator that shows how much space the images are taking up on your internal disk. In the screenshot below you can see I have 295 GB of data used by images on my internal hard disk. You can also see 7TB of images on my NAS. Do realize that this doesn't count the amount of storage your previews on your internal hard disk take. For that you have to use finder. I can't help you figure out which catalog files are the right ones. You can see which one is open at the moment by looking in Classic at the File Menu and looking at which catalog file has a checkmark in front of it in "Open Recent". Not sure what you mean by not using iPhoto but still wanting the photos from it? Again those should have self-contained libraries in the Pictures folder you can find in finder.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 11.27.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines