• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need Lightroom Classic settings for teachers who do online training.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends. I'm looking for resources and networking with Lightroom Teachers who are using the Zoom Meetings as their online training platform. This is a difficult search because ZOOM has a double meaning. I'm getting lots of results aimed at students who are trying to figure out how to zoom in and out. That's not what I need. I'm looking for other Photography Teachers who are using the Zoom Meeting Platform and screen sharing their Lightroom desktop so their students can see it all. Is anybody out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there are any special settings for online training via Zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, I've been on two Zoom training meetings today. These are offered by the Zoom people. I learned some things that will be helpful. It is better to schedule your meetings using the Zoom website rather than on the Zoom desktop. This gives you more options.

And when you play a video that you've pre-recorded you need to tick a couple buttons for it play correctly. That's good to know in advance as I want the option of playing some recording not always doing everything live,

Obviously I'm going to have to figure some of this out through experience but it would also really help to be in touch with some people who are doing what I'm doing. Im hoping to find that here. I have students ready to sign up for my course but I have to at least know how to operate Zoom so I can deliver it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks so much.

The settings I am looking for are in Lightroom. It gives you a choice on whether or not you show just the image or also all the tools. You would choose image-only when you are a Photographer doing sales with a client. That is how mine is set now.

I’m looking for the setting that will let my students see the Lightroom interface, not just the image.

Can you help with this?

Thank you,
Vandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you are referring to the second window, which is indeed sometimes used to display images (without the panels) on a secondary screen.

To share everything on Zoom, though, you don't need that. Just share your main Lightroom window. I've done it that way without any problem.

One thing you might want to do, though, is change the font size in the Preferences > Interface, so it's not too small. I personally like the small size to maximize my screen real-estate and limit scrolling in the panel, but for YouTube videos and screenshare it's not user-friendly, so I increase it whenever I share something.

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, thanks for your info. I was unaware that I was using the secondary (image-only) screen, so when I set it back to the main screen it started showing the panels again, just like you said. I'm so glad to get this resolved today because I have a zoom meeting with an intern tomorrow morning.

I will also take a look at those font size preferences as you recommended. It will be important for my students to see what I'm doing.  I'm looking for other ways to help with that including an app I bought called Pro Mouse.  It makes a halo around your curser so it's more visible as you are moving it around. It also has an option to magnify the area around your cursor when you hold down the command key, but I haven't tried that yet in Lightroom.

Just for the record I am using a 2019 16 inch MacBookPro and one external LG monitor. They seem to be working together really well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to know that it's resolved!

Besides the halo around the mouse cursor, what I find useful is being able to draw on the screen (freehand/arrows/lines/boxes). I'm on Windows, so can't recommend Mac software, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

In any case, do ask your student their opinion and pay attention if they squint. Sometimes they tend not to say they struggle to see what you're doing, unless you specifically ask about that 😉

Good luck with your teaching tomorrow!

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest you are actually looking for some specialized software that works on your PC/MAC that provides things such as:

• Zoom in on current location
  • Change pointer 

These are designed to work with any on-line conferencing like Zoom or Webex. I've been on a number of training meetings where it was specialized desktop software that gave the best benefits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest you are actually looking for some specialized software that works on your PC/MAC that provides things such as:

• Zoom in on current location
  • Change pointer 
By @DS256

Maybe that is the underlying question, though I am not sure there's a need for specialized software. At least on Mac I often zoom in by holding the Ctrl key and scrolling up and down. I expect there's an equivalent on Windows but for some odd reason (as a mainly Windows user) I've never noticed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm getting lots of results aimed at students who are trying to figure out how to zoom in and out.

That's not what I need."

So it's definitely not what they're looking for 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're talking about how the teacher zooms in, not the students.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that, but Vandy did not ask about zooming in/out, but only mentioned the Zoom application.

Vandy said:

"The settings I am looking for are in Lightroom. It gives you a choice on whether or not you show just the image or also all the tools

I’m looking for the setting that will let my students see the Lightroom interface, not just the image."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish the Zoom Meeting people would have picked another name for their company. It's not a fit for us with our software terms already using the word zoom.

So any way according to the Zoom training I took today the teacher can actually use Zoom to zoom in on an area of your screen. You pick this option when you initiate your screen share.

Thanks so much for your interest and your help.

Vandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. I am currently using Pro Mouse to help make my cursor more visible. Please let me know if there's a better one. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for resources and networking with Lightroom Teachers who are using the Zoom Meetings as their online training platform. 

By @Vandy Major

Back to my original post. You are assuming that Zoom will have tools that you need. I don't believe it does and simply shares your screen. What you need to do is look for instructional tools that can help you present the subject; in this case LrC. In other words, don't put 'ZOOM' in your searches.

So, look on-line for effective interactive web based instructuon and see what that brings up.

Maybe watch some YouTube LightRoom tutorials to see how the both organize the tutorial but where they may make use of special video techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good idea to leave the word zoom out of my search. I tried that but still didn't get good results. Everything was still directing me as if I wanted to take online courses. I wasn't finding answers for people who are teaching. I guess there are lots more people wanting to learn it and that's understandable.

On the other hand, I got the info I needed right here on the Adobe Support Community.

Thanks so much

Vandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines