I recently had trouble with my Import Destination settings and ended up with about seventy files in three folders somewhat jumbled. I think I have now resolved that problem, but on the night I decided that the simplest way for me to restore order would be to Remove the files in question from Lightroom (mostly unprocessed), together with their date folders, use Windows File Explorer to tidy up the files on disc and then reimport the lot.
Files and folders vanished from the Folders panel. I did my bit with File Explorer but when I came to import them all the the thumbnails were greyed out and I was unable to Add them to the catalogue even after unchecking the "no duplicates" box. I presume they were still in the catalogue in some sense. I couldn't find a way to proceed and eventually I turned the machine off for an hour. When I came back I did some general housekeeping, ran AVG Tune Up ditching everything I dared and tried again, this time succeeding at the first attempt.
The problem I'm left with it not understanding why I was originally unable to reimport the files. I've done this sort of thing in the past without difficulties - what might have happened this time? Is there a way to guard against any repetition?
I mainly control Lightroom by mouse. I removed the images by Select > Right click > Remove photo > Remove from Lightroom followed by Rightclick > Remove for the emptied folders At this point my expectation would be that Lightroom would have no record of their existence.
There's no need to remove all of the files first and then the folder. In the future you can just right-click on the containing folder and select 'Remove from Lightroom' and then do your reorganization using File Explorer. Most likely your troubleshooting included closing and restarting LrC and your system, which often corrects many unexplained issues.
Unexplained issues - I guess that covers it! "Switch off and count to 10" is certainly a powerful technique, but a rathert blunt tool and always leaves me wondering if I have missed something obvious, hence the query.
I'm not sure how I got into a habit of removing files and folders separately - I'll try and get over it.