• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I thought .dng was "All-in-One"

Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean by the subject title is that I edited some dng files. I thought the edits get embedded into the file. However, in the process of trying to stop Lightroom from creating folders with photo dates on import, I deleted the folders it created, but the .dng images were still on the hardisk in my photos folder. I had to reimport them. All the info created in the prior edit were gone.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the edits to be embedded in DNG files, you have to check "Automatically write changes into XMP" in Edit > Catalog settings > Metadata.

When you enable this setting, it will only affect new files. To embed edits into already imported files, select them in Library, and go to Metadata > Save metadata to files. Or press Ctrl + S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto Save or manually  (Command/Control) S. Or you can update via the menu for metadata and previews. 

Autosave really is the best option. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The big picture is that, by default, the edit history is stored in the catalog. If you want to restore edits to files, simply open the catalog that contains the edits, and reconnect the images to the catalog.

The above is true regardless of the file format, but it can be changed using the setting the others described. Or, edits can be written out of the catalog to selected files if you choose Metadata > Save Metadata to File (in Library) or Photo > Save Metadata to File (in Develop).

The difference with DNG is that the metadata edits can be written into the file, not requiring an XMP sidecar file. Raw files need an XMP sidecar file because they’re read-only, but formats such as DNG, JPEG, and TIFF allow Lightroom Classic to write metadata directly into the file itself. It’s just that it doesn’t happen by default.

Because it doesn’t need to, really. If I was in your situation, I would use the Folders panel to relink the catalog containing the edits to the DNG files in their current location, and that should re-associate their edit histories with the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines