• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I've lost all my photos

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update - Lightroom Classic 10.2 - i've lost all my photo's and can't find them back.

All my catalogus are gone...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom's updates don't touch your catalogs, although it's possible that LRC may have lost track of where they are. Are they not showing under File > Open Recent...?

Do you know where your catalogs have been stored? If so, you can browse to the catalog, and double click the .lrcat file to open it directly with LRC. 

If you don't know where your LRC catalogs are stored, search your hard drive for files with the extension .lrcat - these are the catalog files. Once you've located the file, double click to open in LRC as described above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, thanks for you anwser.

I've tried the suggestions you gave. 
The problem is, that i can't find my catalog anymore. Before i had around 500 photo's. Today i started LR and they asked me to upgrade a catalog from oktober with 75 photo's. My recently catalog is gone..
Also tried under File> Open Recent.. nothing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you searched by using your operating system's search feature for any file on any disk with name ending in LRCAT?

Have you searched by using your operating system's search feature for your photos in any folder on any disk?

You have backups of everything, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige thank you for helping me out.

I've tried to search using operating system. But the cataloge isn't showing.

Yesterday i had everthing, today i wanted to work further and had a pop with question to update cataloge and poof everthings gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have backups of everything (catalog and photos)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you've been working with a catalog on an external removable hard drive? That would explain LRC's confusion. If so, you'll need to locate that drive and attach it to open the catalog. 

When you searched your hard drive for .lrcat files and didn't find any, this is odd, because you should have at least found the one from October with 75 photos, and the newly upgraded one created from that catalog. The default catalog and backup location for LRC is in your Pictures folder on your main drive, so I'd look carefully in there for any signs of Lightroom's data. 

When you close LRC, do you have it set to back up your catalogs? If so, you may have a zipped copy of recent catalogs in the location you set for backup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is correct that i work with a external removable hard drive, but i only transfer my finished photo's to it.
The photo's that i've lost, aren't on my hard disk. 

Netherless i've tried your suggestions, but can't find a catalog at all. Even the one with the 75 photo's.
Also i didn't back it up. 😞 

Do you have any suggestions left? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC.png

This is what i have..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you do have a catalog. The screen capture indicates the photos cannot be found, have you done a search for one of these photos by having your operating system search all hard disks for the photo by file name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i did.

Thank you for you're reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i did.

So you have your operating system search ALL DISKs for one of your photos, by file name? What happened?

You have repeatedly not answered my question about do you have backups. So, do you have backups of your photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us a screen shot of the Library module (Biliotheek) with the Folders panel on the left expanded. If the photos are believed to be on an external drive (according to LRC) we will see it there. 

Also, I can see in the caption bar that your catalog is named "Lightroom Catalog-v10-2-v10-4.lrcat" - This doesn't seem to be an issue, it's the photos that are missing; not the catalog. But, you can see the location of the catalog file by going to Edit > Catalog Settings... and in the General tab, you will see the Location of the catalog. You might want to check this to better understand why you couldn't find it with a search. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i found my cataloge back, but all my photo's are gone from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR2.png

You mean like this? I've already put some new pics, so they are new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, you are now using a completely different catalog (it is showing in the caption bar of the program as "-5", where your previous catalog was showing as "-4."

I see in the "-5" version that you're now showing, your photos are on Drive D: - is this an external drive? I don't see any missing photos in that catalog. Can you open the -4 catalog and show the Library module again, with the Folders showing? Please don't have an open menu like you did just now, as that was hiding some of the view.

What did you do to create a new Catalog? Do you see previous catalogs available, maybe with -3, -2, etc?

2021-05-05_09-56-12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC.png

Like this,? This is now catalog  3 the rest is gone.. I mad a new one "5" to restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you make a new catalog, it starts blank. What happened to -4 that you showed the screen shot earlier? That's the one you showed us with the missing photos. 

Do you know where you have stored your original 500 photos? Are they on an external drive? Worst case you could import them all into a new catalog, but you really want to stop creating all these new catalogs and ideally go back to your original one (maybe the -1 version or one without the -number if it's available). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for your support.

It's true i've created alot of catalog because everytime, i opened LRC it asked me to create a new one or update the oldest one.

I don't find the oldest catalog, the "oldest" is number 3.. I really have no idea were the oldest went, i didn't delete anything. 

I've already got peace with the fact, that i lost them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines