• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I delete older backups (not latest), I cannot open Lightroom

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple older Lightroom classic backups, but after I delete the older ones (not latest) I have problems getting Lightroom Classic to open. I have to restore deleted folders to allow start up. This seems to have happened after V12 as I did not have issues in V 11. Does anyone else have or had this issue and how do I overcome this. I open the backup folder on my drive and find the backups and deleted the older ones from the file exploding in Windows 11

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't sound right. Exactly what happens when you try to open LrC and it doesn't open ... describe in detail. If there is an error message, please state the exact word-for-word error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you delete more than just old backups. Lightroom does not need backups in any way to open its current catalog. In fact, Lightroom has an option to never make backups at all...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us a screen capture of what exactly you delete as well as of the Last used catalogs selection from the file menu.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible explanation is that some time in the past you opened a catalog backup, and if the startup Preferences are set to "Load Most Recent Catalog" then you could have unknowingly been using that catalog thereafter, and even catalog updates would have been added into that same backup folder. Thus when you delete what you think is an old catalog backup folder, it may well be the one that actually contains the current active catalog. Hence the problem when trying to start Lightroom after that cleanup. Easy way to check....with the current catalog open, go to Catalog Setting>General Tab and look at the Location for the active catalog. Is it one of the time-stamped folders that you have been trying to delete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this may have been the case, I created a completely new back up folder and  after backing up to that location I can now delete from old location. Lightroom now opens ok. I think the problem started  after the update move from V 11 to V12. I messed up the migration and end up with V 12 inside a V11 location. Unfortunately I cannot be sure of where I messed up, so this thread will not be a great help to help others. Thank you all for support advice given. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines