• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I move folders will LRC find them?

Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So.  I have to remove a couple folders from my storage drive, due to storage space remaining.  These folders are one year of photos.  All the photo folders are backed up in three places, including a WD Book that sits on the computer desk.  If I remove (delete) the folders, will I be able to redirect LRC to the new folder storage on the WD Book?

Example.  Folder Photos2016 is stored on both the computer's storage drive and a WD Book drive (as well as two other locations.)  The files on both drives are identical.  If I should simply delete Photos2016 from the computer's storage drive, when next I open LRC and it wonders where Photos2016 is, can I just point it to the location on the WD Book?  (I would be sure to backup the catalog as well.)

No rush here, and thanks for your time!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

You are 'on the right track'. You need to Re-link the catalog photos to the 'new' location. (LrC will not do it by itself!).

If you delete the original location first, you would need to [Find Missing Photos]

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

If you first Copied the files, you could use [Update Folder Location]

MOVING PHOTOS- 2 Methods

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are 'on the right track'. You need to Re-link the catalog photos to the 'new' location. (LrC will not do it by itself!).

If you delete the original location first, you would need to [Find Missing Photos]

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

If you first Copied the files, you could use [Update Folder Location]

MOVING PHOTOS- 2 Methods

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm confused though about the need to relink the catalog photos.
My LR catalog is contained in my overall "Photos" folder, and is updated
every time I copy new photos from the storage drive to the backup
drive(s). I use SyncToy for the updating. So if I update the catalog (in
LRC) after making the switch, would that accomplish the relink?

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I update the catalog (in LRC) after making the switch, would that accomplish the relink?

I guess that depends on what you mean by "update the catalog". I would phrase it as re-linking folders (or photos). There are several methods that can be used, depending on the situation, which are explained at the links above. None of them I would describe as "updating the catalog". What is the exact name of the Lightroom Classic menu command or button that you use here?

My LR catalog is contained in my overall "Photos" folder, and is updated every time I copy new photos from the storage drive to the backup drive(s).

I also don't understand what you mean here, and that certainly does not sound like the way Lightroom Classic operates. Again, please explain what you mean by "update".  What is the exact name of the Lightroom Classic menu command or button that you use here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apparently misinterpreted the original response (please see), which
indicated I needed to make sure LR catalog knew about the change. Thanks!

--
Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA
bbartrug@gmail.com
www.brucebartrug.com
•The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
•In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence
of our friends. -Martin Luther King
•Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and give the appearance of solidity to pure wind. -Orson
Welles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anything you do outside LR with respect to files (their location, names, etc) that you'd do in the Finder/explorer isn't known to LR's database; how can it? So always just do these changes inside LR so it knows what you want done. Now the files are updated and so is the database when all done with Lightroom Classic.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines