Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image counter in folder panel do not update

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.
I am writing to you because for a few days I have been experiencing an annoying problem viewing images in Lightroom classic.
The main problem is that the counter of the number of images on the right side in the folder panel does not seem to update, in fact it happens that at the end of the import process (whatever method you use, whether with the classic 'import' of Lightroom, or with the automatic import activated or with tethering too) although the images are imported and are present on the disk in the desired position, the counter remains at 0. (See screenshot n.1)

Screenshot 1.jpg

Apparently the folder is empty (it is dark grey) but by selecting it I'm able to normally edit the photos contained.
Obviously all filters are disabled.
Paradoxically, if I delete the same files by erasing them from the disk, the counter indicates a negative number! (see screenshot n.2)

Screenshot 2.jpg
Let me start by saying that I have made numerous unsuccessful attempts with different files obtained from different cameras.
I also tried removing the 'Previews.lrdata' and 'Helper.lrdata' libraries assuming that they had become corrupt but to no avail...
I have always used Lightroom professionally but something similar had never happened to me,

any ideas?
I thank you in advance!

Ramigo

Lightroom 13.2
Macbook Pro 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core
macOS 13.5 Ventura

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Well, despite it occurring in several catalogs, it does begin to look like catalog corruption. Try if the same happens in a brand new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: delete the 'Catalogname Helper.lrdata' file from your catalog folder and then start Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan, as I wrote in the post I have already tried to delete both the 'helper.lrdata' and the 'previews.lrdata' considering them corrupt but without success.
Furthermore, it is very strange, as the problem occurs in several catalogues.
I also tried uninstalling the application but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already try resetting the preferences? https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I tried but the problem persists..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, despite it occurring in several catalogs, it does begin to look like catalog corruption. Try if the same happens in a brand new catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks johan, creating a new catalog seems to work!
What do you recommend me to do to remedy the problem on the old catalogues?
generally my workflow involves the use of individual catalogs for each individual project which I subsequently delete after importing them into the general 'archive' catalog which includes around 350,000 images..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try starting a fresh Catalog, naming that similarly to an existing Catalog, then using Import From Another Catalog to merge all the contents of the existing Catalog into the new one. This includes all the same importations and stacking, organisational metdata, virtual copies, develop edits, editing history, collections and collection membership, flags and suchlike.

What you may fail to transfer in, include any Publish setups and their established relationships with previously published data. All that would need to start again AFAIK.

Also, if you have all presets etc stored centrally that will be fine. But if the existing catalog has got its own private library of presets "stored with Catalog" then you would need to transfer those over to the corresponding new one.

Catalog Settings for the new Catalog, including that particular option and Automatically Write XMP and such, might need attention - since that will have just been made fresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Richard!
as I imagined it will take some time but I think it is the only way forward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import from Catalog is pretty fast to execute and does not have complicated options to set. There isn't a lot of intervention needed, unless you had Publish setups in place that you will continue to rely on - at least, that's the only thing that occurs to me just now. Given that you have used multiple Catalogs there is no issue of cloud syncing since these cannot have all participated in that before.

One performance-related issue is that Library previews would be initially absent from the newly created Catalogs. But you can IMO leave their re-generation to happen naturally if/when you later re-open a given Catalog. And even then: only for the particular images you might review within that. Previews are disposable.

Oh wait: AI masks and Smart Previews may need to be re-generated, if you use those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was unable to import the entire corrupt catalog in bulk (unknown error in lightroom)..
I then proceeded to export the entire contents of the catalog in blocks into sub-catalogues (customers, private photos, landscapes... dividing the work on different hard disks helped 🙂 ) and re-imported them into the new one.
Now everything seems ok, I will have to rebuild all the previews but it won't be a big problem!
Thank you again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines