• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images associated with a phantom drive

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have Lightroom show missing files I get thousands in the list. All of them are associated with a drive that does not exist, though the same images are in my real catalog. This happened when my external drive was renamed "Touro 1" after a crash and I deleted that mount point. How can I get Lightroom to forget this drive and these alleged missing files?

Lightroom Classic, Mac Mini, OS 12.4

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

If I understand you correctly and the same images are in your catalog as duplicates on the real drive, then you could removed the missing images from the catalog and remove their folders from the catalog too (right-click). After you have removed the last 'phantom folder' this way, the 'phantom drive' will automatically disappear too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to point Lightroom Classic to the drive where the photos now reside. In LrC, select the parent folder on the "phantom" drive and then select Find Missing Folder and then select the folder on the real drive where the photos are. More detailed instructions: https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work because the images are also in my library on the real drive and there can't be two of the same file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly and the same images are in your catalog as duplicates on the real drive, then you could removed the missing images from the catalog and remove their folders from the catalog too (right-click). After you have removed the last 'phantom folder' this way, the 'phantom drive' will automatically disappear too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! That was the trick. When I removed all those folders the phantom drive has disappeared and show no more missing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The phantom drive does not appear in the LRC panel, but when I check the info for the images in the missing file list it says they are located on that drive, which does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The phantom drive does not appear in the LRC panel, but when I check the info for the images in the missing file list it says they are located on that drive, which does not exist.

By @Sandman1951

That's odd. If Lightroom thinks that an image is located on a certain drive, then it should show that drive in the folder panel. What happens when you select such an image and choose the 'Photo - Go to folder in Library' menu?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I choose go to folder in library I get the phantom drive showing up on the navigation panel with everything having a question mark. If I right-click on the drive I do not get a popup menu.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 3.38.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines