Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Develop Presets and Local Adjustment Brushes

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I am sorry, I have just spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how to import presets into an earlier version of Lightroom into the current one and I am not having any luck.  Here is the breakdown:

Old Version of Lightroom: Lightroom CC 2015

Current Version I am trying to use: Lightroom Classic 11.2

I am trying to get back into photography after finally getting a current laptop.  The problem I am having is that I have a lot of presets on my old PC which has Lightroom CC 2015.  Namely Develop Presets as well as Local Adjustment Brushes.  All of my presets have the lrtemplate file extension and I do know that the current version of Lighrtoom should convert them into the xmp file extension.

I have tried to copy all the adjustments from the old Lightroom folders (Develop Presets folder and Local Adjustment Presets folder) into the same named folders in the new Lightroom version.  I launch Lightroom Classic on the new laptop and I don't see any of my presets.  I do know that reading tons of articles that I should see something popping up that it is converting the files from lrtemplate to xmp but I never see that happen.

I would hate to loose all of these presets as most of them I have purchased and really work well when I am editing my photos.

I have attached a couple of screenshots to show the old folder stucture and files of my presets.

Rob

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Unfortunately, due to a longstanding bug, File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets won't import old-format .lrtemplate presets. 

The easiest way to import old-format Develop presets is to edit a photo in Develop, click the + button in the Presets panel, and do Import Presets:

johnrellis_0-1646000630158.png

Select one or more of the old presets.

But that command won't import local adjustment presets!  To do that

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the LrC Develop module go to menu File> Import Develop Profiles and Presets. Navigate to the folder(s) that contains the presets copied over from your original system. They will be converted to XMPs and should then be visible in the Presets panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Unfortunately, due to a longstanding bug, File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets won't import old-format .lrtemplate presets. 

The easiest way to import old-format Develop presets is to edit a photo in Develop, click the + button in the Presets panel, and do Import Presets:

johnrellis_0-1646000630158.png

Select one or more of the old presets.

But that command won't import local adjustment presets!  To do that, do Preferences > Presets > Show All Other Lightroom Presets. That will open File Explorer on the Lightroom settings folder.   Copy the local adjustment presets (.lrtemplate files) into the subfolder Local Adjustment Presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am pretty sure I did what you suggested but I did it one more time and all my presets are now there!!

Once thing I didn't do yet was add any photos into my catalog.  Because of this, it didn't look like my presets came over.  But once I brought photos over, there were all my presets!

Thank you so much!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once thing I didn't do yet was add any photos into my catalog.

DO NOT "add any photos into" a (new) Catalog!

You open your 'old' catalog (by a [Double-Click] on the Catalog.LRCAT file) and v11.2 will ask to upgrade the catalog to work with v11.2

Starting a new catalog will result in you losing all the editing work you have ever done in Lr CC2015

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd, I did these exact steps but the custom brushes are still not showing. Only the standard adobe ones. please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"custom brushes are still not showing."

I guess that Todd's answer is for Global DEVELOP Presets. NOT Brush Presets!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Rob's reply:

First, to remove any possible confusion, local adjustment presets (also called effect presets or brush presets) or those that show up in the Effect drop-down in the masking panel:

johnrellis_0-1657041789209.png

Local adjustment presets are stored in .lrtemplate files. They can't be imported using the File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets command or with the + button in the Presets panel.

Instead, they have to be placed in the correct folder manually.  There's lots of misleading information about the folder paths out there, so follow these instructions precisely:

1. Go to Preferences > Presets and click Show All Other Lightroom Presets. That will open File Explorer / Finder on the folder currently storing all LR settings (except for develop presets and profiles).  

2. Put the .lrtemplate files containing the local adjustment presets in the subfolder "Local Adjustment Presets". 

3. Restart LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

+1 to the instructions from @johnrellis 

Note also that you cannot have sub-folders within the {Local Adjustment Presets} folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines