• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import direct from camera is slow

Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just observing for the first time LRC 12.0.1 importing from an R5 to be painfully slow.

Have been waiting 20 minutes and current import is zero. Have previously cancelled this import because it was taking unusually long.

The red light on the back is only flashing maybe once every 10 seconds. then might stop.

Lightroom in Activity Viewer is occasionally not responding.

M1, macOS Monterey 12.6.1.

Has been working fine over the last few days for importing. Have restarted. Have changed cables.

Have just cancelled again and whilst typing this, the copy import progress is hanging.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the description. I'd help you figure this out. I'll need more info.

Are you working on a laptop or desktop? Do you use USB hub extensions? Could you please share a screenshot of the import settings you are using?

There are a few things to test in the hardware part of this.

• Unplug any mobile devices or extra peripherals currently not used as a test.
  • Try importing to a folder located on the internal drive as a test.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

In the Import window, are you selecting the camera from the Device section or the Files section?

johnrellis_0-1668640121022.png

If your camera supports it, importing via the Files section is faster.  LR normally uses the Files section by default, but perhaps yours got changed for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to know that there is a performance difference between those categories.

I did also try loading from a CF card into a card slot (not in camera). Same speed issue.

I think it has something to do with the external disk.

I've just created a new catalog on the local SSD from camera and it performed as expected.

Based on the number of responses, seems that I'm the only one experiencing this. I'm thinking it is not LRC.

There are other issues I'm seeing with Lacie 2big disks. When two are plugged into an M1 systen over Thunderbolt, they spontaneously eject. Running just one the issue doesn't occur. Running over USB 3.1 seems to be more stable. Didn't see this on Intel, but it's been a while since I've run that setup. So I'm now working through disk diagnostics.

The feature that would have been really handy is a transfer rate displayed somewhere. It would be useful to know how fast LRC is transferring data, you could then make some judgements of where the issue is. And there are two parts to this camera -> computer -> disk. So knowing which side is the bottleneck would be useful. Knowing that there is a significant change in disk performance might signal that its time to buy a new drive or do some maintenance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using Finder to copy directly from the card in the card reader to your disks. Use a watch to time the transfers.

To see transfer speeds, you can also open Activity Monitor, and click on the Disk tab.  Total bytes read and written per second are in the lower-right corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines