• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Error: Connecting to Dynamic Link Server Failed

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried to import file sinto a brand new LR Catalog when I got this message...here's the entire error message:

"An unknown error has occurred while reading the video file. Connecting to Dynamic Link server failed. (98)"

Connecting to Dynamic Link Server Failed

this was then followed by a list of files of these types:

.mov

.m4v

.3gp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Adobe support fixed my issue On a Mac doing the following:

Quit LR

From the Finder type: (CMD-SHIFT_G) OR from GO Menu

Enter path: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/

Rename the following folders with a .old OR delete the directory

dynamiclinkmediaserver

dynamiclinkmanager

DyanmicLinkMediaServer

Open LR and Import Video files as usual. Worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error here, importing video files from my iPhone into LR on my macbook. First I noticed, that certain videos were not transferred via Creative Cloud. Then I tried to import directly from iPhone via cable, but got the error message. Then I managed to import the iPhone videos into iMovie. And then tried to import the files now on my computer into LR, but same error.

At least I now have the files in my macbook, but LR will not import them.  All my software is updated (LR CC, iOS, macOS) and it is just ordinary video files from an iPhone.
Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally  was able to fix my problem with the above message. I found out by accident that I had 2 of the same files but one of the files read:  Lightroom Catalog (Conflicted copy from Don’s iMac on 2016-08-22).lrcat and the other just read as: Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

So I deleted both files and uninstall Lightroom not thru the cloud but directly from my computer. Look for the Icon for Lightroom (Blue Icon with letters (Lr) and right next to there you have the Uninstall Adobe Lightroom (Red Icon) Its located under applications. Do not uninstall the program thru the Creative Cloud. Once you uninstall the program, go back to your Creative cloud and install it back. I did just that and now I can import my videos and photos with no problem. About how I found the problem by accident its as followed:

I went to applications and I opened it and on the top right hand there's a search field, type: Lightroom and as soon as you type, you'll see a file name that reads: Adobe Lightroom library, click on it and it will take you to the file: Lightroom catalog.Ircat. You should only see one file with that name and if you see the 2 files I mentioned earlier, I would delete both of them and follow the steps above on how to uninstall Lightroom and install it right back thru Creative Clouds. You should look for those files before installing the program again. I hope this makes sense but I am glad its working now. I called Adobe support a couple of times and they could not figured out the issue so I took it upon myself to fix it and I did. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem on Mac OS X El Capitan. The solution I found was to make sure the Apple Photos app was closed and then I managed to import the files no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem as well.....I find it so interesting that no one can come up with a solution.  I am currently trying to: "Open with Lightroom".  It is still "thinking".....There should be an answer or work around that is acceptable.....

That didn't work either....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac, and a MacBook Pro.  I just did an experiment on my MacBook Pro.....and the videos will import on that machine.  Now, I am really puzzled.  I also just deleted and reinstalled LR, but that didn't help my issue on my iMac.....Does anyone have any ideas on what options/preferences, etc I can compare on both machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 and iTunes installed and to fix this issue I've set Windows Media Player to be the default player for MOV files instead of iTunes.

To set Windows Media Player as the default .MOV file player:

Right click on an MOV file > Open With > Choose another app > Select Windows Media Player and check [  ] Always use this app to open .MOV files > [OK]

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you!! That may have done it. I've now been able to import a couple of test movies and they seem to work.

I've had so many problems with Apple and their software updates (a "bonjour" update completely destroyed my Windows 7 64-bit OS not long ago). getting away from iTunes and Quicktime would be a relief!

Thanks again. I'll report back in if this is a phantom fix but so far it looks very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I spoke too soon. I changed the default player to windows media player and the first import worked fine.

Then I tried another file and it didn't work. I went back and something had changed the default player BACK to Quicktime.

I changed it back to Windows Media Player but so far it has never worked again. And each time it fails I find that the default has been changed.

I tried different files, quitting LR and rebooting, etc. Somehow something (LR?) is changing the default back to Quicktime (did I say I thought Apple was evil???!!)

I'm going to try and google this or possibly call Adobe support.

At one point I removed QT from my system and that may have been when I got the message about the dynamic link server not connecting. So possibly Quicktime is required somehow in the code??

By the way, Apple says that now Quicktime 7 is no longer supported for Windows. I don't know if that is part of the issue or not.

If anyone has tried any of this and found a solution please let me know!!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit LR

dynamiclinkmediaserver

dynamiclinkmanager

DyanmicLinkMediaServer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gordon-Boloman This finally worked. I have spent countless time looking for a fix and getting increasingly frustrated.

I just can't believe it was this simple yet nowhere else this solution has been addressed, not even when I called Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent the entire day trouble shooting why my videos would not import and THIS WORKED!!! So happy! Thank you so much to whoever posted this      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gordon-Boloman  wrote

Quit LR

dynamiclinkmediaserver

dynamiclinkmanager

DyanmicLinkMediaServer

For anyone on Windows, these folders are in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Note that you will have to show hidden files (View > Hidden items in File Explorer) in order to see that AppData folder.

Removing those folder worked for me to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was still getting the error after deleting the mentioned files, and then did a couple more steps (below) before it started working again.

Quit LR

dynamiclinkmediaserver

dynamiclinkmanager

DyanmicLinkMediaServer

2.  Then delete these directories too:

~/Documents/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver

3. Then stop the dynamic link processes using "Activity Monitor". Start "Activity Monitor". In search pane, type "dynamic link".

For each of the 3 processes, select the process and click the hexagon-X button in the upper left of the tool bar to kill them.

4. This is where is started working for me again.

Hope that helps those with lingering problems.

- Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This indeed does the trick and is much appreciated. Thank you Benjamin5432108.

I went one step further and kept the windows open as the culprits would reappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me

3. Then stop the dynamic link processes using "Activity Monitor". Start "Activity Monitor". In search pane, type "dynamic link".

For each of the 3 processes, select the process and click the hexagon-X button in the upper left of the tool bar to kill them.

4. This is where is started working for me again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to the success stories in the hope it helps others find this solution... combining the recommendations from Gordon and Benjamin above... this worked for me using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 on MAC OSX 10.15.4 

Thanks for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 3 did the trick for me.  It allowed me to import video files as well as make slideshows in Lr.  Thanks Benjamin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me on a Macbook Pro (late 2011) with High Sierra and Lightroom 8.41.

The instructions by Gordon-Boloman turned out to be incomplete, at least in my case. The extra steps seemed to do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, this solved my issue as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but only after I restarted the MacBook Pro. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this hasn't happened to me until today (5 Apr 2020)...but THANK YOU for your post @Gordon-Boloman, it solved the video import problem I had between my Canon 70D and Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly running two Xeon Workstations running Windows 10 (21H1), one cannot load / display .mp4's and the other can. I went through absolutely every one of the standard pieces of advice to try to fix this. Such as deleting caches and so on.  Even with a brand new empty catalog, trying to import a single 2mn video, it didn't work with 10.3. Turns out that I was able to conclude that it worked on Lightroom 10.0 but fails on 10.1, .2 and .3  Rolling back 10.3 to 10.0 did fix the problem. So somehow Adobe "broke" something with the 10.1 upgrade. Knowing that I reloaded 10.0. Took a copy of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Helpers\DynamicLinkMediaServer then loaded 10.3 and replaced the new version of that directory with the one from 10.0 and the problems went away.  Not sure how long that will work for me but so far I will most likely redo this for every upgrade that fails. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but it is not working for me with LrC in 2022.  Is this still the right answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked after I restarted my computer!  That final step should be added to your step-by-step.  Thanks to whoever mentioned doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines