Import from another catalog-do not get all import settings in dialog

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to “Import from another catalog” in the current version of LR Classic v11.3.1.  I have my Travel catalog created on my laptop (same version) and also backed up to an external HD.  I am attempting to import from the external HD Travel.lrcat Travel folder/images to my “Travel” folder in my master LR catalog on my desktop.  My LR catalog resides in my C drive:\Users\cjs84\Lightroom and my travel images on D:\Pictures\Travel.  When attempting to import, I see the following dialog:

cjs849_0-1650810298785.png

I am attempting to import from another catalog and this is an incorrect dialog that I see for this.  I do not see the following:  (I copied this from the web)

cjs849_1-1650810298787.png

I cannot select where to send the images nor can I change and replace metadata and develop settings.  When I import using these settings, the images get copied to the ether…I cannot find them.  LR says that they are at:

C:\Users\cjs84\Pictures\S Caribbean BUT THEY ARE NOT ON MY C DRIVE.  And of course, LR wants me to find the parent folder which cannot be found.  Then I have to remove all the images to clean up the mess.

What is going on here?  I have imported before with this setup without these issues.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import the travel catalog from a backed up copy on an external drive, then the originals in that travel catalog will be 'missing' because they reside on your laptop. Even if you backed up the originals to that external drive as well, the paths in the travel catalog will still be pointing to the internal hard drive of the laptop. That is why Lightroom can't offer you to copy the originals to another destination. You must 'relink' the images in the travel catalog first, before importing it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That was the problem. Thank you
*Claire Salvail*

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines