Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import from Apple Photos to Lightroom

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (10.12.3), using Photos version 2.0 and Adobe Lightroom CC (2015). !

I've read the forums and cannot find an answer to my question. How can I import/export photos between Photos and Lightroom without having to drag and drop via the desktop every time?

I also use Photoshop CC (2017) if you know a way to import/export between Photos and Photoshop as well.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

I think this is how:

1. Switch to Finder.
  2. Right-click on your Photos library and select Show Package Contents
  3. Drag the Masters folder from inside the Photos package and drop it in Pictures - ie make Masters into a regular folder
  4. In Lightroom, import the Masters folder, choosing Add in the Import dialog

With this method you can import some or everything. I suggest everything, and then forgetting about Photos.

It would be great if you could confirm this method worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is how:

1. Switch to Finder.
  2. Right-click on your Photos library and select Show Package Contents
  3. Drag the Masters folder from inside the Photos package and drop it in Pictures - ie make Masters into a regular folder
  4. In Lightroom, import the Masters folder, choosing Add in the Import dialog

With this method you can import some or everything. I suggest everything, and then forgetting about Photos.

It would be great if you could confirm this method worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John - This was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to having a Mac and cannot seem to locate the "Masters" file once I went to Show Package Contents. Also, where is the "Pictures" folder? I don't see this either (intuitively, this would be in Documents, but it's not)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Documents, Pictures, Movies, Music, etc. are considered different types of media on MacOS so each one has its own folder, which you should be able to see in the left pane in Finder windows or by double clicking your hard drive icon, double clicking Users folder, double clicking your username folder in that and you will see the various folders. If they do not appear in the sidebar you can also drag any or all of the folders to appear in the left sidebar for more convenient access.

IMRAN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used this method. Thank you, it worked well. One question though: I have 20,000 photos. Are there now two copies on my hard drive and in using my iCloud data? Would you then delete them all from apple photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do note that Lightroom CC - Release 2.0 has a feature to Migrate Apple Photos Library.

This will import all your Album Hierarchy/Keywords/People Information/ Geo Locations along with your images.

Please watch out following before you start migration.

1. All the assets have been downloaded locally on your machine.

2. Hidden assets are not migrated, so unhide any hidden Photos

3. HEIC/HEVC files take a long time to be converted to migration ready format. Please wait until Apple Photos has finished its conversion task to be able to migrate all the assets, else you will lose out HEIC/HEIF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but apparently that feature daes not exist (even) in the newest Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.1 Version! It is a pitty.

So my best experience:

- open Fotos-app an Your mac

- look for "export", than choose "unmodified" photos: so You have all data You need

attention: if You follow the advice to extract the Master-folder out of the Fotos.Bibliothek (photos.library), and then import it into LR, all Your photos will appear with another name, not the original one. I am not sure, but perhaps even other metadata will have changed ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the only method is to transfer the Apple Photos Master file as described by John Beardsworth.  I am using Lightroom Classic version 9.2.1 and it does have a menu option to import Apple iPhotos:  Edit>Plug-In Extras> Import from iPhoto Library.  However, Apple deprecated iPhoto in 2015 and replaced it with Apple Photos.  It is a small change, but an important one.  When I tried to use this option to import Apple Photos, I received the error message, "The selection does not appear to be an iPhoto library."

Even the solutions posted in the Adobe help section are inaccurate.  I hope this helps someone else save some time looking for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick clairification & a question ...

plug in extras is in the "file" menu. i'm sure most would have found it but just in case. 

migrating "iphoto" doesn't work since the apple's photo app is now "apple photo" whatever changes apple made "broke" that plug in. 

question: if you move the "originals" folder into a readable folder will new photos in the apple app continue to sync w icloud? 

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct.  Apple iPhoto and Photos are not the same.  Adobe Plug-in Extras has not been updated as of the latest release.

If you move the Originals folders from the Photos library, it will most likely break the cataloging capability of Photos, so no future photos will sync with Apple iCloud.

I "copied" the Originals folder and was able to import the photos into Lightroom.  Since the Original folder within Photos remains intact, iCloud syncing continues to work.

It is a manual workaround, but the only one available to date.  That means you will need to do this every so often if you want to capture all photos from Photos and still keep iCloud sync working.  

Happy Editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Roddy!  Amazing that in 2020 we still have all these workarounds to deal with.  I thought things were supposed to be getting easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac Book Pro version Big Sur 11.5.2.  I cannot get images imported from "Photos" to LightBook.  I was able to do this on my older Mac.  This is very frustratiing because I only bought the current Mac to be able completely utilize LightRoom and Photoshop for editing.  Now I can't even get the photos into LightRoom.  

Does anyone know a work around?  

Thanks,

Lucien Perrodin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there is a special import script to import all Photos into Lightroom.  New photos are handled differently.  You should download the Lightroom app to your phone or tablet.  Then set Lightroom to import all new photos.  They will be added to Adobe (Lightroom) Cloud.  When you sync your computer, all photos from Adobe Cloud will be downloaded at full resolution to a folder you specify in Lightroom.  Once they are synchronized and downloaded, you just need to organize them.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your comment.

I have both LightRoom Classic and LightRoom.  I've tried in both to import from "Photos" on my Mac with no success.  How do I access the special script that you are referring to?

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines