Exit

Import from Apple Photos

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a new Lightroom user.

I decided to migrate all my Apple photos library as well as my google pictures to Lightroom and to organize  backups... Before starting migration, I try to anticipate problems : concerning Apple Photos, I wonder if there is a way to copy the pictures from Apple library to another folder as the same time as we start the migration (the same way we import pictures from a camera and choose "copy") ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

The Photos library is part of a sync service with Apple iCloud. You need to get all the photos out of iCloud and on a local hard drive before importing them into Lightroom, or Lightroom Classic. (You didn't specify which one you are using.). You can export a set of images from Photos, or copy one image at a time from the app to a hard drive. It's a big pain to do this though. I've never found an easier way.

Photos has a vault library in the Pictures folder. Last time I looked at it everything wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

That's great news. Now make sure the images are located where you want to keep them permanently. An external hard drive is a good choice. Then when you import them into Lightroom Classic, make sure to use the Add method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photos library is part of a sync service with Apple iCloud. You need to get all the photos out of iCloud and on a local hard drive before importing them into Lightroom, or Lightroom Classic. (You didn't specify which one you are using.). You can export a set of images from Photos, or copy one image at a time from the app to a hard drive. It's a big pain to do this though. I've never found an easier way.

Photos has a vault library in the Pictures folder. Last time I looked at it everything was organized in dated folders. You could copy the images from the folders to another drive but that will probably be tedious too. If someone has an easy way to get everything out of the Photos app I'd love to hear what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Theresa,

Thanks for your advices. I tryed the following method and it works : I exported the entire Apple Photos library by selecting "export originals" and it copyed every files on my hard drive. Now I  think I can migrate to Lightroom Classic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news. Now make sure the images are located where you want to keep them permanently. An external hard drive is a good choice. Then when you import them into Lightroom Classic, make sure to use the Add method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way I found is:

1. select the Photos Library folder in your pictures folder.

2. Copy paste it to a location on a harddrive you use for your LrC photo's

3. Right click the folder and select "open with"

4. Select "other"

5. Select LrC from the available app's

6. LrC will open in the import module and you can import the photo's like normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines