• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import from Google Takeout

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to import a pile of photos from Google Photos into LR Classic. The easiest way to download all my Google Photos is to use Google's 'takeout' feature, which zips up everything into a bunch of folders. The bulk of the photos are in per-year folders (e.g. "Photos from 2006", "Photos from 2007", etc). So far, so good. But Google Photos also supports Albums which are like LR Classic Collections -- when viewing a Google Album online, the photos are just pointers to the real photos. A photo can be in multiple Google Albums, and deleting an Album does not delete the photos, etc. BUT, when you download all your Google Photos using Google Takeout, each Album is its own folder with a copy of the real photos. For example:

takeout - top level folder
  Photos from 2006 - folder
      photo1.jpg
      photo2.jpg
      photo3.jpg
   Album1 - folder
      photo1.jpg
      photo2.jpg
   Album2 - folder
      photo2.jpg
      photo3.jpg

What I really want to end up with in LR Classic is 1 folder with the 'real' photos, together with a Collection for each Album. I've tried importing with and without "Don't import Suspected Duplicates", but neither is quite right.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic doesn't work the way you want it too. Your images have to be on a hard drive, in folders. Classic learns about the location of the images during import. It does not actually put the images into the catalog. Classic Collections are like virtual folders. They only exist inside of the catalog, not on the drive. Google Photos Albums are similar to Lightroom Classic's Collections. They only work in Google Photos. I don't know of anyway you can convert Google Albums to Classic Collections unless someone has written a plugin. I don't know of any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand how Lightroom works. I like how Lightroom works! 

I don't know of anyway you can convert Google Albums to Classic Collections

Yeah, that was my basic question. 

> unless someone has written a plugin. I don't know of any

Hm, I am a software developer, maybe I could write a plugin. Where is the documentation for writing plugins? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, I found the Adobe Developer Console and lots of information/documentation, but nothing specific about LRClassic plugins. Still digging, but some pointers would be appreciated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aha, found this: LrC_11.4_202206021307-2f136917.release_SDK.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines