Exit

Import hangs during Smart Preview build

Contributor ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC 11.3.1 Camera Raw 14.3

Windows 10 Pro X64 21H2 with all current updates

Asus Z97WS motherboard, Intel i7-4790K (not overclocked), 32GB, 8TB RAID-6 data storage (5TB free)

Since the update to 11 I've been experiencing difficulties if I try to import more than a couple of dozen files at a time.  LR becomes unresponsive during the import. Sometimes I can cancel the import by clicking the red X in the progress bar, but usually I have to kill the process with Task Manager and re-launch.

Some data points:

1. All the files have been copied from the source media, but not all have been added to the catalog
  2. It makes no difference if I import directly from an SD card or first copy the files manually to a temp location on hard disk before importing
  3. After restarting, I can "synchronize": the folder into which I imported to add the "missing" files to the catalog.
  4. Sometimes I'll get a "preview missing" error message for one or more of the recently imported files.  I can manually regenerate the Smart Previews.

Is adobe aware of this problem, and is it being addressed?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I get a response on this?  It's becoming a serious issue. 

Here is some more info:

• According to Process Explorer, after LRC hangs during the import it is using about 0.20% CPU and doing about 1-2KB/sec (i.e. minimal) I/O occasionally, but zero I/O at least half the time. 
  • Memory usage is not changing.
  • All the incoming files have been moved from the temporary disk directory into the catalog directory
  • Of a total of 490 raw image files, it got as far as 236 before hanging.

How do I get someone's attention for this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to try is resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Quit Lightroom Classic.
MacOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Any difference? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I might ask- Why are you creating Smart Previews?

If your raid drive is permanently connected you do not need Smart Previews, and Standard previews will do just fine. (and 1:1 previews will automatically appear when needed).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines