• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import or overwrite?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot with medium format film and do all the initial and often all edits in PS. I then import ("Add") the images into LR as a catalog and because I use it for making prints.

In LR I am "asked" whether I want to import settings from the disc or overwrite them. My inclination is the former. It seems that all the edits made in PS would thereby be retained in the metadata of the file. What would happen if I overwrite even when I have done no edits in LR?

Which should I do?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you shoot film, then I assume your files are tiff or psd. That means the Photoshop edits are applied to the pixels of the image, and not stored in metadata like Lightroom Classic does. That makes me wonder what metadata Lightroom Classic is referring to. Do you add metadata like keywords or IPTC metadata like your name and address?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - I add keywords when I import the file into LR. 

If that is the reason, should I "overwrite" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you add metadata in Lightroom, then you should indeed overwrite. If you read the metadata from disk, then those Lightroom keywords will be deleted.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines