• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import pics from E drive to E drive on new PC

New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom6 on my desktop  PC (Win7), with program and catalog on the C-drive (SSD).  All my picture files are in a folder on a separate 4TB internal E-drive (magnetic).  I have the latest backup copy of the catalog that is made when Lightroom6 shuts down - stored in another folder on that E-drive.

I have recently bought a new Win10 desktop and purchased Lightroom Classic for it, installing it on the C-drive.  I plan to physically move the 4TB picture drive from the old PC to the new PC, also assigning it as the E-drive on the new machine.

What is the best/easiest way to get the latest catalog on the 4TB E-drive imported into the Lightroom Classic program on the new Win10 PC?  Once I do this, will the new Lightroom Classic know that all the picture files are on the E-drive as my original Lightroom6 did? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First- Do NOT IMPORT ANYTHING!.

I refer you to this article- Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen 

With these comments-

Step#1 'Preparation':  You have this done- Your photo files are on the transferred E:drive

Step#2 'Backups':  You have one Catalog backup on the E:drive,  but do you also have other catalog backups (AND Photos) on another physical drive? (Not the E:drive?)

Step#5 'Open the Catalog':  A fresh install of Lr-Classic in the 'new' PC may open a new empty Catalog. If this happens- Exit this empty catalog immediately, then with File Explorer locate your copied Lr6 Catalog (on C:drive) and [Double-Click] to 'open' it.   You will be asked to upgrade the Catalog for v10: Accept!

Step#6 'Relink missing files' should not be needed if the Catalog recognizes the E:drive as in the 'old' PC.

Steps# 7 & 8:  Are Important, as you may have many Presets and Plugins that you would need to also copy across to the 'new' system. (Save a backup of these files also!)

Presets to a New Computer

When Lr-Classic is installed and with your Catalog upgraded, there will be some differences with Lightroom file locations, this article  details -

FILE LOCATIONS

Then, "will the new Lightroom Classic know that all the picture files are on the E-drive as my original Lightroom6 did?"  YES!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines