• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported a folder with 30,000 images. LR Cat shows 50,000

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm wondering if there is an up to date solution for the problem I have created myself.

Like many people I take a lot of photographs on my phone. Some important family memories, many work related and far too many screen shots. Over a couple of years this accumulated to 130Gb worth and I decided to try and sort through the 30,000+ images.

I downloaded them all from my phone. There was a mixture of JPG, HEIC, MP4, MOV, AAE(?) and PNG. I moved the MOV, MP4 and PNG to seperate folders and began importing the remainder to a brand new Lightroom Classic Catalogue.

The process took approximately half a day, but ultimately finished. However when checking through I noticed that many, perhaps all images were duplicated! I noticed that the catalogue had 50,000 images instead of 30,000.

Is this something I have to repair manually or is it a known bug? I'd like to avoid installing 3rd party plug in software that hasn't been licensed or endorsed by Adobe.

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

It has happened to me once when reimporting some photos, albeit much fewer, and this is what worked for me:

- All duplicate photos add "-2" added as suffix to the filename, so in the Library grid, search filter by text (filename contains -2)

- Select all (Ctrl/Cmd + A)

- X to mark them as rejected.

- Remove the search filter and take a look at the pictures. Since the rejected ones appear grayed out, it's easy to roughly check if those are next to identical pictures. Some time had passed when I noticed it, so I wanted to make sure I hadn't removed the deleted some of the original files (i.e. without -2). If that happens, just select the rejected photo and Ctrl/Cmd + Up arrow to remove the reject flag. It will take some time for you to review them, with so many images, though.

- Ctrl/Cmd + Backspace to delete all rejected photos from Lightroom and disk.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines