• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported photos from old to new computer. Trouble with Lightroom Classic Catalogue

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new computer.

I did not handle the importing of images from old computer to new correctly.

I downladed CC and Lightroom Classic to new computer, imported the photos to the default catalogue showing on the new computer, and now, of course those that had been edited in the old catalogue on the previous computer show no history in the new catalogue. (total of more than 125,000 photos)

Here is current situation.

I have some folders that need the old catalogue (which I have access to) to get the adjustment history back.

I have other folders that function fine on the new catalogue on the new computer.

What steps should I take to get things straightened out?

Greatly appreciate you bailing me out on this one! G

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you did the wrong thing! You Imported photos to a new Catalog.

Moving to another computer does NOT involve 'Importing Photos'.

You need to COPY the Catalog from the 'old' computer to the 'New' computer and 'Open' this copied Catalog.

It is the Catalog from the 'old' computer that contains ALL your editing work.

See this link for instructions.

Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that I did the wrong thing!

But I can't go back and undo it all, because I have folders added to the new computer which are edited.

I can't move my old Lightroom and photos to the new computer together.

I now have all photos residing on new computer' drive in the default catalogue.

The question is, how do I now deal with some folders of photos that need the old catalogue, and other folders that are happy in the new default catalogue?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, So if I understand you correctly, you "RE-Imported" all the photos to the new default catalog?

Are where on those photo files located? On a separate drive?

If that is the case, and all those photo files had already been imported into your original catalog, and your previous catalog is either on the same drive or on an attached drive to your new computer, my first suggestion would be to:

Launch LRC holding down the option?Alt key. (Instead of directly clicking on the "default catalog" where you reimported images.   Holding the Option/Alt key as you launch LR opens a window asking you which catalog to use.

At this point you could do one of two things:

a. Create a new catalog on the new computer, with a specific name so you will know which one it is.

Then when the new catalog is open, you can go to : File > Import from another catalog.

Use the Lightroom to find your previous catalog, and select it. It might say that the catalog needs to be upgraded to a new version. If that is fine. LR will make upgrade your original catalog and import the whole. old catalog into your new catalog. You may need to relink the photo files themselves. We can explain that later.

OR

b. You can have LR find your previous catalog - your original one, and open that directly. Again, it may need to be "updated" and if so, LR will make a copy of your original catalog and name it something like original catalog— 2.

Again you may need to relink your photo files.

Basically, Import from another catalog imports ALL the edits you have made - so you do not need to re import and start over.

If you do either of these two steps and you see that the catalog created in either step one or two avoe, works, then oyu can delete that other catalog in which you tried to re import evey photo files and start over and where your previous edits and work was not visible.

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much for taking the time and effort to help. Here is further explanation:

The photos reside on a large drive inside my new computer.

They also exist on the old computer, and backed up to an external drive.

The problem is, that it has been a couple of weeks since I messed up in transferring the files without the catalogue as well.

Now I have images in some folders that need the old catalogue, and other folders with images edited in the new default catalogue.

I know where everything is, but don't know how to get files from 2 different catalogues together where they're all happy!

Based on this, do you have alternate steps for me to follow?

Thanks again,

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an add-on

I did not "re-import" my photos into the new default catalogue on my new computer, but just imported them for the first time to that catalogue, which was the wrong one to choose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is very time comsuming, however, I still believe either exporting as catalog, the new folders on the new default catalog, and then importing as catalog that newly exported newer catalog into your previous catalog, making sure all the various files like lr.data files are there, will be the cleanest in the end.

Just allot a lot of time so you dont skip a step or forget one!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that the simplest solution is for you to choose. Either revert to the old catalog and use the import from another catalog option or vice versa, therefore combining the two catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim Hess.

That is: Open the old catalog and then import from catalog by importing the "new" catalog" or vice versa - thus combining them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One sentence you wrote concerns me. You said, "I now have all photos residing on new computer' drive in the default catalogue."

Do you mean you have a FOlder on the new computer that contains all your photo files - that is your .cr2 if Canon, or your .nef if Nikon etc?

What I am getting at is that the Catalog both old and new are data files like the card catalog from a physical library with books. The catalog does not hold the books, only data about them. The LR catalog does NOT include the folder with photos, just the details about them.

SO you should have 1. your old catalog, 2. your new catalog, and 3. a folder with all the photo files themselves. 

Is that what you meant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have all three.

If I open Lightroom with my old catalogue, will it show ALL my images that are currently in the new default catalogue? (both those with history, and those without)

Then will I be able to pick a folder with subfolders that has edits in the new catalogue and import it into that original catalogue?

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open Lightroom with my old catalogue, will it show ALL my images that are currently in the new default catalogue? (both those with history, and those without)

it will show images imported into the old catalog. It doesn't know about anything in any other catalog.

Then will I be able to pick a folder with subfolders that has edits in the new catalogue and import it into that original catalogue?

Yes, you can export parts of one catalog (the new catalog) as another catalog — select any photos you want to have in the old catalog, and then export as catalog; then import the catalog that has just been exported into the old catalog.

Now you have everything in one catalog.

Just to be 100% clear, none of this involves importing photos or importing folders. It all involves exporting as a catalog and importing a catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to import any image into any catalog because the images are not "in" a catalog. They are simply in folders on your computer. Technically, you may have different catalogs in your Lightroom system, but in most instances it isn't necessary. However, since you have already started a second catalog, it might be easier to just maintain the two separate one's. But that is for you to determine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines