• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing greater than 10,000 files to same folder

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manage my photos on the HD by "folder" year, then a "sub-folder" by event I am photographing. All good with LR as I have never shot more than 9700 photos at one event. BUT, now I have the Z9 and I know from people I watched at recent workshop that I will be shooting AND importing many events/trips with greater that 10,000 photos. So the problem will be importing and not having multiple same name photos in the same folder.

Do not want to change the file naming at 9999 photos, but can I use advanced importing by "renaming files" and just having LR copy them to the HD from the card. What I would like to do is have do the custom naming: event : file name, and some type other time or other identifier that would create different file names when I shoot more that 10,000 photos.

AND I want all this to go into ONE single event folder on the HD as I have dome before and not several nested sub-folders.

Can anyone tell me if this can be done and how to do it. I cannot be the only one in this situation.

Trying to keep it simple and similar to many years of photo files.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

The import dialog has an option to rename files on import. You can pick a default template, or you can create your own template by selecting a template and choosing 'Edit'. Once you've edited the template you can save it under a new name. Here's an example of what I use:

1 2022-10-05 21-57-33.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import dialog has an option to rename files on import. You can pick a default template, or you can create your own template by selecting a template and choosing 'Edit'. Once you've edited the template you can save it under a new name. Here's an example of what I use:

1 2022-10-05 21-57-33.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will try this out.  Do you know if the sequence value options runs past 10,000 or does it start over.  I have been messing with different combinations for two days to get what I want and getting closer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to select a seq selection all the wayout to (00001), that would allow for out to 99999

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks for all the tips.  I got working what I needed as a result with you suggestions and some playing around with some of the other import settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines